• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Common Rain Leaks?

lawdog1623

ill add my experience on this particular topic, hopefully you will benefit. i did the exact same thing, right after i brought my truck home. A heavy rainstorm came in and i decided to go outside to see how the interior looked. I was shocked to see what looked like a smaller version niagra falls behind the instrument panel in the area of the steering wheel. This prompted me to look under the instrument panel. I then found a large rusted out area where water had damaged the area behind the hood cowl. I ended up removing the cowling, and then cutting, splicing and welding patches into the sheet metal to repair the damage. I then purchased a new old stock window frame and brand new windows. I replaced the entire upper windshield frame and all its parts including the hinges. Yes, i went overboard, and here is how. Ive been told that the window frame and cowl area are the weak parts of the truck as far as leaks go. A new window frame and or a new cowl piece are very very hard to find, and i was lucky. I wanted to completely seal off the window frame to eliminate any water problems in the future. I sealed off all holes with either caulking or expanding foam. I coated the entire window frame and its parts with black duplicolor bed liner (with kevlar and uv resistant). This essentially rubberized the entire assembly. I then marked off my camo paint scheme to continue up the hood and to the window frame. When finished it will look as if the window was intentionally painted black to match the camo. My advice to you would be to take the extra time to seal off the entire area with caulking or rubber to prevent future water damage. I also had a custom cab cover made with drawstrings, so as to prevent water from even getting on the cab. Yes im obsessed but i love my mv. :cookoo::wink:

Flyingvan911

My deuce only leaks around the windshields and the side windows. I bought some new windshield seals from Erik's but they must be the outsources Chinese ones because one side was too long, the other side to short and they are a little too narrow along the bottom. I'm not blaming Erik's, they are good people. I've read several post on here about the military outsourcing parts to other countries and those parts are low quality and/or don't meet specs.

I am going to put some foam rubber seal from the hardware store in the gaps until I find better seals.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys are mistakenly thinking that they didn't leak when new.

ODdave

Looks like the trap door in the floor may be stuck. Check and see if the hinge is rusty or gummed up, if it is you may not be able to open it to let the water drain out. 2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks