• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Companies that rebuild these.

thoner7

Anyone have a list of companies that rebuid and sell humvees?

i know if west Kentucky surplus, Midwest military equipment plan b black dog customs

custom combat trucks used to do them but I think their owner passed away and their website is down.

Are there any others?

Gamble

Dont forget our own... Retired Warhorses, who is the most knowledgeable of all of these shops, in my opinion and Ive purchased parts or services from all of them.

Otherwise, I think you hit most of them. Oh there is a guy out in Illinois. I think his company is Military Truck Works.
There is also Predator Inc in San Diego, Hummercore, and ModMafia but those 3 focus primarily on the H1 Civy Trucks.

thoner7

Dont forget our own... Retired Warhorses, who is the most knowledgeable of all of these shops, in my opinion and Ive purchased parts or services from all of them.

Otherwise, I think you hit most of them. Oh there is a guy out in Illinois. I think his company is Military Truck Works.
There is also Predator Inc in San Diego, Hummercore, and ModMafia but those 3 focus primarily on the H1 Civy Trucks.
I had checked his website but no info on building trucks.

so many of these are super pricey I might as well buy a Hummer

blutow

“Building trucks” can mean very different things to different people. If you are interested in a hummer h1, it makes no sense to try to turn a military hmmwv into one.

From my perspective “building” a hmmwv is primarily restoring the original mechanical systems, adding military tops/bumpers/AC/etc. Maybe aftermarket seats and wheels and some fresh paint. (I’m personally not a fan of any of that). “Building” an h1 is usually turning a bloated mall crawler into a more bloated mall crawler with more bling. In my opinion, the h1 was a really poor attempt to make the hmmwv a civilized daily driver. I totally understand how the h1 iappeals to some folks (and prices reflects the demand), just not my thing.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

One of the magical parts of this website is the section called Technical Manuals. The books that you need to repair anything that you need fixed on a military HMMWV is here. That requires lots of effort on your part - No question about that. Dirty hands, oil drops on your clean white concrete driveway... But you will have done it with your own two hands.

On the other hand, there are people who will take your auction bought truck and fix whatever you want fixed. That generally takes a big fat wallet, but you can definitely buy what you want. Already done for you by a professional.

Heck, there are even HMMWV's that are ready to hit the road today in the Steel Soldiers CLASSIFIEDS. Shop. Ask questions. Solicit opinions. There are lots of folks here who are willing to "learn you" if you want to go that way.

thoner7

I don’t mind doing the work. I built my own house and get dirty every day. If it were just me I’d buy one with the rod hall suspension and fix it myself.

but I have to be realistic. I have no time to fix this up and no shop to do it in anymore. If I ever hope to use this thing it’ll need heat, AC, hard doors, some amount of sound deadening, etc - so my young kids will enjoy it, too.

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don’t mind doing the work. I built my own house and get dirty every day. If it were just me I’d buy one with the rod hall suspension and fix it myself.

but I have to be realistic. I have no time to fix this up and no shop to do it in anymore. If I ever hope to use this thing it’ll need heat, AC, hard doors, some amount of sound deadening, etc - so my young kids will enjoy it, too.
Buy a JEEP

SmartDrug

Buy a JEEP
Concur. Trying to make this into what you describe will be expensive, time consuming, and still fall short of a Wrangler, IMO.

I love the HMMWV, but I sweat in the summer, it's drafty in the winter, it leaks when it rains, stock seats are awful, I need headsets to have a conversation at a comfortable volume, there is virtually no secure storage, is laughably slow (especially now that everyone drives EVs), sucks fuel, requires an extreme level of understanding of how it mechanically functions, etc. These are things that I'm comfortable with and greatly prefer to a Jeep, but I'd be lying if I said there weren't days that I take another vehicle with AC/quiet/comfort.

Literally everything I listed as a fault of the HMMWV, the Wrangler excels at - if that's what you want, just buy that.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For heat/Aircon you'll want either an M1123 with the RedDot system, or an ECV/REV truck.
Probably the ECV/REV since the RedDot takes up a lot of space.

For sound deadening, you might as well just buy an H1.
For the amount of work to properly strip down the truck, apply a good quality sound deadening material, and reassemble everything, or the amount you'll pay to have someone else do it, you're putting a lot of time/money into it, and it won't actually increase the value more than a tiny fraction of what you put into it. Especially since you'll also need to purchase H1 doors to keep the noise out from there as well (the soft doors don't do much, and the hard doors can actually increase noise from all the rattles and not fiting perfectly)
Buying an intercom setup will put you ahead financially.

If you're off road doing under 25 miles an hour the noise isn't that bad and don't necessarily require hearing protection (but still not a bad idea for extended periods of time)

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Around here i
If you want to pick up chicks, buy a hmmwv. If you want to pick up guys, buy a jeep. Not that there's anything wrong with that....
Around here it seems to be the opposite. Everyone who asks me about the HMMWV is a guy (and they always call it a hummer), while my (2011) Jeep Wrangler seems to be both sexes.

Autonomy_Lost

Around here i

Around here it seems to be the opposite. Everyone who asks me about the HMMWV is a guy (and they always call it a hummer), while my (2011) Jeep Wrangler seems to be both sexes.
Hmm, maybe you gotta up your game. All the girls tell me I have a cool "army car" lol.

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hardly anyone has ever mentioned my civy truck. But my HMMWV’s get admired from guys, ladies, and kids alike.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks