• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Comparing engine block heater power outputs

strelnik

Hello all,

I have two CUCV engines, 1986 vintage, in my two military surplus G30 box trucks. backed by THM 400 three-speeds.

During this winter, both block heaters have died.

Understandable, since I think they are original. They pop the breaker when I plug them in.

My friend put a 400W block heater in the one and it starts the vehicle with no problems in -4 degree weather.

My question: I have seen a 1000W version of the block heater. Is this a better version? Necessary or good to have?

A guy who's a little bit of a know-it-all (no, he IS a know-it-all) says to avoid the 1000W versions because they burn out soon. When I asked him " How soon is soon?" he didn't know.

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever put in TWO block heaters, one for each bank?

Just wondering.

Thanks!

tobyS

He may be right on the 1000w. Higher heat elements CAN burn out if the heat is not getting away. If your position in the block has a very large water passage, a bigger element will warm it faster. At 400w on 120v it is using just under 4 amps, at 1000 about 9a. Two of the smaller would supply 800w, so would draw about 7+, could be used (most circuits are 15a) together, but I would not recommend two of the 1000 without special accommodation of the electric supply.

If one set up with 2 of the thousand, it would warm very fast but may subject it to improper thermal stresses. 400 worked for you before, put in a second of that size if you like a more even and faster heat (where in MI you may need it).

Had a discussion with a man that makes them run in Sparta and we concluded an electric blower with heated intake air elements would make a difference (and provide some positive air intake pressure under normal operation).