• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

compression test adapter for borrow/rent?

Mike944

Anyone have a multifuel compression test adapter I can borrow or rent?

I have the rest of the tester, just not the adapter.

I got a bad oil analysis report from Blackstone that they identified high chrome as maybe a broken ring, and high fuel in the oil. I want to do a compression test before I get into more drastic measures.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any miss or white smoke? Have you been idling the engine?

Mike944

Any miss or white smoke? Have you been idling the engine?
it SEEMS to run normally, but I've never driven another, so I have no idea what "normal" is supposed to be for a deuce.

no white smoke, but it cranks for a few seconds before starting. I get blue smoke, but I assume that's because I'm running 50/50 WMO and diesel.

I just got the vehicle, and the oil was likely in there for years, so I can't get too worried about it.

Yes, I have been idling it somewhat while I do various things to it. I gave it a full warmup (idling, not driving) before I changed the oil, and took the sample. It wasn't registered when I did the oil change, so I couldn't drive it.

I'll do another sample in a short interval (100 hrs or so) and see what It says.

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another option for an adapter is to buy a NOS injector off that "E" auction site for $29.99, and part #EDD-120500 from Summit racing for $2.99. When you get the injector, remove the caps from both ends, take out the spring, pin, and needle, cut about 1/4" off of the nozzle tip, plug the fuel supply bore with the fitting you got from Summit (along with a dab of sealant), reinstall the nozzle tip and torque the end caps to 45-50' lbs, put the 1/8 NPT fitting from your test kit into the top cap, and there you go. You've got your own adapter, and some spare injector parts (or stuff to add to your diesel-yard art/wind chime :) Just remember when you install the adapter to only torque the hold-down bolts to 150-175 INCH pounds (some of the TM's state foot pounds for injector installation, and 150' lbs will snap your hold-down yokes)
IMG_20180606_164354166.jpg

Last edited:

rustystud

Another option for an adapter is to buy a NOS injector off that "E" auction site for $29.99, and part #EDD-120500 from Summit racing for $2.99. When you get the injector, remove the caps from both ends, take out the spring, pin, and needle, cut about 1/4" off of the nozzle tip, plug the fuel supply bore with the fitting you got from Summit (along with a dab of sealant), reinstall the nozzle tip and torque the end caps to 45-50' lbs, put the 1/8 NPT fitting from your test kit into the top cap, and there you go. You've got your own adapter, and some spare injector parts (or stuff to add to your diesel-yard art/wind chime :) Just remember when you install the adapter to only torque the hold-down bolts to 150-175 INCH pounds (some of the TM's state foot pounds for injector installation, and 150' lbs will snap your hold-down yokes)
View attachment 730867

Have you actually tried this adapter ? If it does work correctly then it would be a whole lot cheaper then the factory one I paid for. Maybe I will make a spare adapter.

Menaces Nemesis

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you actually tried this adapter ? If it does work correctly then it would be a whole lot cheaper then the factory one I paid for. Maybe I will make a spare adapter.
Good morning Rusty, lots of folks have done this and reported good results. I've seen different pics of ones folks have put together, a quick search dug this one that up that RAYZER did here, with pics in post 11;
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...S-465-1-peace-of-mind-check-and-freshen/page2
To directly answer your question, I haven't used this tester yet, put it together just so I'd have it, but there's no reason it wouldn't work. With the aformentioned parts removed, tip opened up and the gauge/hose disconnected, you can see daylight clear through the injector, and there's no reason the seals wouldn't hold the 600 or so PSI.

Last edited:

rustystud

Good morning Rusty, lots of folks have done this and reported good results. I've seen different pics of ones folks have put together, a quick search dug this one that up that RAZOR did here, with pics in post 11;
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...S-465-1-peace-of-mind-check-and-freshen/page2
To directly answer your question, I haven't used this tester yet, put it together just so I'd have it, but there's no reason it wouldn't work. With the aformentioned parts removed, tip opened up and the gauge/hose disconnected, you can see daylight clear through the injector, and there's no reason the seals wouldn't hold the 600 or so PSI.
Well I have a few spare injectors, so I'm going to try this and see how it works. It would be a whole lot cheaper then the $180.00 I paid. Also I haven't seen the adapters for sell in a while. They might be out of stock now.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an injector that is ready to be used to make a compression tester. First one to say I do and pays shipping can have it.

Menaces Nemesis

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, while you have the old injector apart, take a minute to anneal both of those old copper seals with a propane torch (heat them up to a medium cherry red, and let them air-cool) and make sure to put some sealant on the 1/2-20 injector line plug, and you should be golden.

Last edited:

skinnyR1

My take on this is that the analysis looks bad because you are running WMO and the oil could be ancient. 6.5% of the sample is "fuel." That means a portion of the sample is your WMO. The crap found in the analysis could just be from the fact you run WMO. The WMO could be the source of the issue. Who knows what the previous owner was running for fuel, it could have been straight WMO or any other mystery blend.

If the truck runs good, the oil isn't mixed with coolant, I would just forget about the sample and keep driving it.

Last edited:

Mike944

My take on this is that the analysis looks bad because you are running WMO and the oil could be ancient. 6.5% of the sample is "fuel." That means a portion of the sample is your WMO. The crap found in the analysis could just be from the fact you run WMO. The WMO could be the source of the issue. Who knows what the previous owner was running for fuel, it could have been straight WMO or any other mystery blend.

If the truck runs good, the oil isn't mixed with coolant, I would just forget about the sample and keep driving it.
Yes, the oil is probably ancient. The PO claimed he ran straight diesel. I changed the oil soon after I got it, before it was even street registered. I doubt I ran more than a gallon or two of WMO through it before I changed the oil. So that shouldn't have had any significant impact on the results, unless the WMO was absolutely horrid!

my plan is to compression test, and then after ~100 hrs (using it around the farm more than the street) and take another sample.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks