• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Compressor belt install?

littlebob

You need a tool to loosen up the adjustable pulley on the compressor. Mine was frozen and I had to cut the old belt and remove the old one a use a lot of penetrating oil and some heat to free it up.
If it wasn't so late, I'd try and link a thread with the info. There are two pinch bolts that have to be loosened and then you hold the back of the pulley while turning the front to make the pulley halves seperate and give slack. Do The reverse to tighten. The front uses a special wrench.

LanceRobson

If you don't have the correct compressor pulley wrench a 2' pipe wrench will fit it. If it's frozen or stiff just use a rag as a pad to keep from scarring the pulley.

Since it's a split sheave pulley, tightening the front half down has the effect of making the pulley diameter larger which, in turn, tightens the belt. It also pinches the belt and if tightened too much without freeing the belt you can crush and weaken the belt.

To prevent all this, tighten the pulley a half turn or so, make sure the engine stop handle is pulled out, and bump the starter with a firm stab of the button. The pinched belt will walk up and out to where the now larger pulley diameter wants it to ride. Then re-check the tension and see if it needs more adjustment. You may need to snug down the pinch bolts to keep the outer sheave from moving while doing this.

If you tighten it too much with out freeing the belt it can also break the belt so go easy until you're comfortable with the process.

Once you do it the first time you'll see it's a pretty painless deal. The compressor wrenches are available form some folks on the forum.

Good luck and keep 'em rolling!

Lance

jasonjc

Save some headaches and get one of the wrenches. Some of the guys here have had them made. So help them out and buy here. If I rember right they are around $20.00 I think.

One other thing too try on a frozen or tight pully is use a cold cheisle or something to spread it open between the pich bolts. And soak it down with penatraing oil.

Parker2

Luckily I have already soaked it down with oil. I am going to have to try my large pipe wrench. I dont have time to order a wrench from someone as I have to have this truck on a job Monday.

Thanks for the help guys. I am going to try it now.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should be fine Allan. As long as it's not too stuck, will loosen right up. As far as compressor wrenches, I got mine from Latrine Commander here on SS but many moons ago. His are a close copy of the original with some more beef and a longer easier grip handle. After using the one I got from John, I gave my GI one away.

Parker2

Wew!!!! Got it done and I dont want to have to do it again anytime soon. The pulley was seezed, so lots of penetrating oil wrenches and hammer got the job done. I put never seeze on it for next time.
I think I may order one of those wrenches, but hope I wont need it anytime soon.

Thanks for all the help and info guys!

Now I am off to change the oil and put on Jatonkas spin on filter kit.:-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks