• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Compressor gasket replaced - still leaking

shenkmen

Hi there, my compressor gasket was leaking so I decided it was time for replacement. It's now leaking worse. No sealant was used. The work was done in a heated garage. Drove it twice an re-torqued it twice. All work was done by an ex deuce mechanic.

Our guess is the bottom of the compressor is warped.

Possible solutions...

1. New compressor - ouch $$.
  2. Double gasket.
  3. A home made gasket made from thicker material.
  4. Mill the base of the compressor.
Questions...

1. What are your thoughts and/or experiences on this?
  2. If we go the home made gasket route what type of material would you recommend?
  3. Can we assume the compressor is getting enough oil at this point? The oil isn't pouring out but it is leaking nicely.
Thanks for your time!

Cheers.

Last edited:

crasheej

You have one or both that is not flat. The compreaaor or the mout. Check that then you'l have an idea what to so next. Or a crack someplace look .

DieselBob

If you have a local shop that does cylinder head work they should have what amounts to a over size belt sander they use on warped aluminum heads. They could run the bottom of the compressor on to make sure it is flat. Not sure what they might charge. 2cents

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is an oil hole on one of the short sides of the gasket. Did it get blocked and push oil out the gasket?

On a side note, I have seen people use RTV and plug the oil hole. It ends up burning up the pump.

Last edited:

shenkmen

There is an oil hole on one of the short sides of the gasket. Did it get blocked and push oil out the gasket?
We'll check that on the next removal.

On a side note, I have seen people use RTV and plug the whole. It ends up burning up the pump.
No RTV or sealant used.

The new gasket matched the old gasket. Could it still be blocked by a shift of the gasket? How far away is the oil hole from the gasket? Does the oil go through the small hole(s) on either end of the gasket?

Last edited:

shenkmen

We'll check that on the next removal.

No RTV or sealant used.

The new gasket matched the old gasket. Could it still be blocked by a shift of the gasket? How far away is the oil hole from the gasket? Does the oil go through the small hole(s) on either end of the gasket?
Image of compressor gasket added for reference to question "Does the oil go through the small hole(s) on either end of the gasket?"

Attachments

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i used some sealant on mine when i changed it. yes you have to be mindful of the oil passage hole. in that area i used such little sealant you could hardly see it. i put a little little bit of sealant on by the oil hole and wiped it right back off almost with my finger. once you tighten things up, it'll be amazing how much will ooze out of the gasket when you didnt think you put much on. the other areas does not matter as much, but still, nobody likes to see sealant gooping out of everything.

I used permatex "right stuff" and that is definately the stuff to use. it is ATF compatable and that shows how tough it is. i highly suggest using that for this application.

crasheej

If it is flat you don't need a lot of gunk to get it to seal. Bottom line check to see if it is flat, If you like to keep fooling around just use the gunk and keep taking it apart and put ing it back together. Do it right the frist time and you don't have to clean that calf again.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is only one oil passage on the pump. The gasket can be installed either direction.

The oil travels from the block, up thru the mounting flange, thru the small hole and up to the top of the pump. Then it drains back down thru the big hole.

If the tiny hole gets blocked in any way, the pump will starve for oil.

Attachments

Last edited:

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is flat you don't need a lot of gunk to get it to seal. Bottom line check to see if it is flat, If you like to keep fooling around just use the gunk and keep taking it apart and put ing it back together. Do it right the frist time and you don't have to clean that calf again.
Agreed. it never entered my mind to check if mine was flat. i just cleaned up both surfaces and put a little bit of sealer on it and it has been fine. i guess why i never thought about checking to see if it was flat is because it shouldnt see the conditions like a cylinder head would. if it was not flat, it porbably wasnt flat from the factory.

going back, it is good not to over look the simple things.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also had pump that would leak like a sieve. Couldn't figure out where it was leaking from. After removing it a few times I finally found the problem.

See if you can guess where it was leaking.

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothing wrong with the fin, just some dirt/goo.

Ended up pluging the hole with some JB Weld and a screw.