• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Comset Ideas for Deuce Cab?

houdel

Anyone have any ideas for an inexpensive comset for a Deuce cab? It doesn't have to be original military, although that would be a good touch if the price were reasonable. I'm just looking for a headset/microphone combination to preserve what is left of my 60 year old hearing, prevent hearing damage to my 6, 8 and 10 year old co-drivers, and allow us to be able to carry on a decent conversation while driving.

It doesn't have to be fancy, even a set of cheap motorcycle communicators would work, although I'd probably need a 24V-12V converter. I just would like to know what you all think is reasonably cheap and works fairly well to block out noise but still be able to carry on a clear conversation.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, well, this brings up a couple questions. First, do you only want this for commo inside your deuce, or do you want to use this for radio commo with other MVs? If the former, it's hard to beat the VIC-1 setup. If the latter, you'll need a ham license, since most military radios are in bands that require a license.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also like the idea of the VIC-1. If you're patient, you can pick up all the stuff for a few hundred bucks. I looked into the aircraft person to person commo and it'll cost the same if not more. Regarding talking to other MVs, I think some folks here figured out how to tie a C.B. into the VIC-1s. I'm lookin' for a vic-1 myself. there is a great thread if you search the forum about all the stuff you need to get...check it out.

rgregj

I have an aviation intercom and head sets we swap from the plane to the deuce. The headsets are active noise cancelling, which makes it real nice on trips. Since its for aviation, its already set up for the 24volt. Plus, it has an line in so we can listen to a portable cd player. I dont think it would be hard to put a CB in line too. All you would need was a push to talk switch.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Comset Ideas for Deuce Cab?

rgregj said:
I have an aviation intercom and head sets we swap from the plane to the deuce. The headsets are active noise cancelling, which makes it real nice on trips. Since its for aviation, its already set up for the 24volt. Plus, it has an line in so we can listen to a portable cd player. I dont think it would be hard to put a CB in line too. All you would need was a push to talk switch.
Can you give more details like what is needed to compete the setup? Make, P/Ns, prices, pics?

mangus580

RE: Re: RE: Comset Ideas for Deuce Cab?

You might want to look at something similar to the 'chatterbox' for motorcycles... www.chatterboxstore.com

I suspect there is a version (maybe not this brand) out there, that would work great in the deuce, and function as an FRS radio as well.

houdel

I have a ham license, but all I really want to do is be able to communicate inside the cab with my co-driver, so I don't need something as elaborate as the VIC-1 setup. The "Chatterbox" sounds pretty neat, the FRS radio would come in handy in case I had a chase vehicle accompanying me on a trip.

I'd like to hear more about the aviation headsets also. However, I'm sure they have to be FAA approved and probably pretty expensive.

Boatcarpenter

Lee, I have looked at the 9-32 volt aviation units on Epay. They pop up very frequently and sometimes go very reasonably. Way cheaper than new units from the aircraft suppliers. If you just want bare bones communication between two people they are very reasonable. Then they go up from there depending on what else you want for features.
BC

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I use Powercoms from Peltor but they aren't inexpensive. Work near flawlessly. VIC-1s work pretty good but aren't too comfy. Also, most of these aren't designed for a windy environment except the MC ones. My VIC-1 with all the windows down suffered from some of the wind.

rgregj

GIve me a couple to get the prices and such. Like the consesus in the room, probably the best route is used, but I'll get the specifics

rgregj

Ok, pulled out my Aircrafts pruce catalog www.aircraftspruce.com and a two place intercom starts around $100.00 and the four place starts at $114.00 and it uses 9 volt or vehicle power. Flight com are entry level head sets without noise cancelling which go for $110.00 My youngest son uses those and they work quite well www.flightcom.net. My personal head sets are Lightspeed 20 XL, www.anrheadsets.com. They are active noise canceling and elminate almost all the noise in the truck. In fact, when my wife and I wear ours we do not need the intercom. They are on the pricey side $375-$600. But you can wear them all day, I've had mine 7 years and fly 500 hours a year. Wind noise should be no problem since all the aviation headsets come with mic muffs.

Hope this helps.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter

for long trips, comfort is key. I found the military headsets to be comfortable once adjusted.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial

Jcease and I went for a ride in my deuce this afternoon, and he brought along his older model David Clark aviation intercom setup. It was apparent that they needed a little TLC as he said they had been sitting in a box for along time, however these things were VERY nice for use in the deuce. I was able to talk to him with ease, and the sound reduction was great. I usually use a peltor headset that has a radio tuner built in. I believe that both types of headsets are rated for a 24dB reduction in sound, but the David Clark was noticeably quieter. I can just imagine how nice a new set would be, or better yet an active noise reduction headset.

I should clarify that the Peltor headphones I have are just the first generation Worktunes that I was talking about above. Their newer intercoms and such might be better as far as reducing the noise.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I just picked up a pair of peltor headsets. They are 5 channel units with PTT or VOX and run on AA batteries. I won them on E-bay for 65.00 for the pair. I'll let you know how they work aft. I receive shipment.

Barrman

I run an aviation intercom like the one listed above in my M715. (mail order special from 12 years ago when I got my pilots license. Marv Golden I think. 4 place Intercom and 2 head sets for around $130.00.) It makes long trips a lot better. Couple of suggestions though.

The 9 volt battery doesn't last all that long if you have a radio, cd, mp3 or Ipod feeding tunes into it for hours on end. Figure out a way to hard wire or at least lighter plug it in.

The cheapest converter I have found to go from a cell phone to the intercom is around $90.00. I don't have one yet, but that is one thing I would really look for when buying a system. We all know that cell phones are impossible to use at speeds over about 3 mph in military vehicles otherwise.

Most motorcylce shops have the big wind muffs for the microphone. I got two from a Honda store last summer for around $5.00 each. The normal aviation ones don't really help that much at speed in a brisk cross wind while driving down the road.

willysmd

I have managed to get hold of a Clansman radio kit (Brit Army) just the intercom parts so I can talk to the passenger, these are/were used in all military vehicles over here and come with all the bits you need, all I have to buy is the headsets the rest was "donated" to me from friends.

greensix

I have a vic-1 in my m35a2 I love it. drawback it is not a cheap system.I use cvc helmets. it has a passenger box and one in the bed.it is tied into the radio also. if you do not buy new componets you can get into a real nightmare.

Jimma

Intercom

I started looking around and found a reasonable priced used 4 place aviation intercom with two headsets on ebay. Its a hush a com intercom that operates on a 9v battery. Is completely self contained and does not need an outside power source. If you get one like this outside power or 24v power is never an issue. Its great. I paid $35.00 on ebay and am happy. Also a friend made hangers out of aluminum, custom curved and drilled to be attached to the inside of the cab hanging from the back soft top support. They look cool and are hung out of the way when not in use.:lol:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks