• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Concerned over oil pressure

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
***May 19, 2014 - Update - Bumping my old thread***

So I never got around to checking my oil pressure with a mechanical gauge. And then on a trip home I looked down and the oil pressure gauge showed zero. I had to drive it for a about a half mile before it was safe to pull over. No overheating, sounded fine, no leaking oil either (still oil in the truck). I risked it and drove the remaining 4 miles home. The gauge in the truck will come up to zero when the accessory power lever is turned on but will stay at zero even during vehicle operation.

Do I put the mechanical gauge right where the sending unit is (we'll call that "left" on the picture) or can I put it in place of that petcock valve on the "right"?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400550720.691661.jpg

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well that sending unit just twisted right off by hand. I wasn't expecting in it to be that easy. :D

Appears the sending unit was correctly matched with my 120 PSI gauge. It has 120lbs stamped right in it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400552275.055955.jpg

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400555699.503337.jpg

There's air in the line but pressure is pressure, right?

I just used a cheap mechanical instrument cluster replacement with a hard line. Around 60 PSI a few seconds after a cold start up.

I'm thinking bad sending unit.

Though I haven't done the ohm test on the sending unit that shenkmen linked to.

Last edited:

mjcdetroit

The petcock will drain your coolant from the block.

I was also having some concerns regarding my pressure, but I just discovered that I have 120 p.s.i. sender with a 60 p.s.i. gauge. Thanks for the pictures.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wellll I'm glad I didn't touch the petcock then! Thanks for that info.

And you're very welcome for the pictures. I try to take as many as I can, especially when I learn something that I had not read

dmetalmiki

I would not have gone to all that testing. I replaced all my temperature and oil pressure gauges in all our trucks with mechanical ones. So, What I 'see' is what I 'have'.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sir that link is down, do you have it saved?
I assume due to various forum migrations and upgrades the thread has been lost. I cannot find it under shenkmen's profile and searching the site only yields another thread where he links to it again.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...sure-reading&p=1239947&viewfull=1#post1239947

Yep. remove the oil pressure sending unit and screw in a mechanical oil pressure gauge. You can use one the should be mounted in the dash. They're available at auto parts stores, napa, etc...

You can bench test your sending unit by hooking it up to an air compressor. Check my thread and the death of my engine here - http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/53241-no-oil-pressure-oa331-2.html#post1065168
If I recall correctly, his bench test of the sending unit using an air compressor consisted of a chart detailing his measurements of voltage at various pressures. The sending unit is basically a big variable resistor. At zero pressure it provides zero resistance and the oil pressure gauge would read zero. If you remove the grounding wire for the oil pressure gauge on the instrument cluster it will peg all the way to the right. That is an open circuit, indiciative of a poor instrument cluster ground - a common problem in deuces. This is often visible in a "bouncing" oil pressure gauge, which is the current state of mine.

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would not have gone to all that testing. I replaced all my temperature and oil pressure gauges in all our trucks with mechanical ones. So, What I 'see' is what I 'have'.
screw a mechanical guage in the holethe sending unit came from. I believe the TM numbers are minimums.
It's an old thread, where my issue was long resolved and said mechanical gauge used. 99nouns was looking for a specific link mentioned earlier in the thread by shenkmen that is now broken.

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
And since 2012 no one ever said what flavor oil was in the engine.
As per engine lube oil pressure that really does matter, and is alas,
another variable in the equation.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All:

Many of the links in this thread are (or were) broken, and I have reported to the Forum Moderators the updated corrected links. Many of the links by shenkmen were referencing this post of his bench top test of a sending unit using an air compressor:

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...E-quot-oa331&p=1065168&viewfull=1#post1065168

If you encounter similarly broken links in the future, do the following:

In the link it'll have a path after the ".com", such as "steelsoldiers.com/deuce/...." replace the text deuce/ with showthread.php? and that'll fix the link. Much thanks to Mr. gringeltaube for that tip.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks