• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Concerns of paint dust / sanding

dragonwagon

Theres no way to know for sure what paint is on my deuce . ITs green . Under this green is desert tan , truck was in desert shield so im told . Asuming this info is correct the paint is not all that old . Now i question weather this would be a lead based paint or not . Its getting buffed down , few small spots sanded to the metal due to rust .

I have a 30x40 heated garage but im not sure it would be a good idea to sand this inside with a charcoal filtered breathing mask or if i should wait until warm weather and do it out side to prevent build up of paint dust in an enclosed area .

Opinions please ?

flyxpl

I would wait for warm weather than do it outside with the charcoal filter . You will not be able to paint until you get warm weather . even eith heat in the garage an exhaust fan will suck out all the heat along with the overspray . The metal temp will be cold to start with . Just a hole lot easier in the warm weather .

Nonotagain

The sanding residue will contain some heavy metals, primarily chrome.

My suggestion would be to cover the floor with a disposable drop cloth and possibly spray the cloth with a tackifier type product, something like a non-drying shellac to capture the bulk of the dust.

Any organic vapor respirator will more than cover your respiratory needs provided it's worn correctly. You should also wear Tyvek coveralls with a hair cover. Dispose of the contaminated clothing/drop cloth in a sealed plastic bag. Wash your hands before eating, smoking of drinking.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do grinding and wire brush work outside and sanding outside or inside with a sander equipped with a vacuum hose. In either case I use a full face mask. Just blow you nose once in a kleenex after sanding and you will want the mask.

A

A/C Cages

We wet sand ours to prevent most of these problems.
Even though we wet sand, we are fully protected and the surrounding area is all covered.
Too many hazards in paints let alone military paints that have been exposed to who knows what in their service time.

dragonwagon

thanks for the tips guys . Works slow and i have some time to kill . Maybe ill get the CJ5 out and finish up the things on that i need to finish . Deuce can wait a while i guess .

A

A/C Cages

well drive it on down here, its warm enough and you can use my shops. lol
Yeah I saw where you are from. Sorry about teasing you about the cold weather. lol

dragonwagon

Iv done a lot of repaints over the years , im just not up to date with what this military paint is comparied to normal enamil , laquer and so on .

Like you said , what it been exposed to during service , plus i dont know the true make up of the orginal paint .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks