• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Concrete

rlwm211

pour it all at once!

In estimating the amount of concrete needed you add extra for the reasons stated. What makes the difference on how accurate your order is is how carefully you prepare your forms and subbase. The more care you put into grading, compacting and leveling your forms, the more precise your estimate will be.

The amount of concrete you are going to need and the work required to get all of this ready leans heavily towards wanting to do the prep and pour as a project and do it in one "job".

I have heard of people conniving a way to get short readimix loads delivered and a real deal on the cost. Problem is that if the mix is not your "flavor" you may be pouring with substandard, or excessively strong concrete. Also, the pour will be stronger if it is poured and cured as one project.

Also exposed forms and rebar deteriorate. Corrosion on rebar is bad when it comes to concrete longevity. It creates a chemical reaction in the slab and invites deterioration, water migration, and the resulting rebar and concrete weakness. If a long period of time passes between successive pours the rebar will definitely become a problem.

If you were pouring a walk, or other light duty project it would be alright to pour in small stages, but for a place where you will probably doing maintanence on your truck, I would wager you want to have a safe and solid platform to work on.

Just my two cents

RL

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In estimating the amount of concrete needed you add extra for the reasons stated. What makes the difference on how accurate your order is is how carefully you prepare your forms and subbase. The more care you put into grading, compacting and leveling your forms, the more precise your estimate will be.

The amount of concrete you are going to need and the work required to get all of this ready leans heavily towards wanting to do the prep and pour as a project and do it in one "job".

I have heard of people conniving a way to get short readimix loads delivered and a real deal on the cost. Problem is that if the mix is not your "flavor" you may be pouring with substandard, or excessively strong concrete. Also, the pour will be stronger if it is poured and cured as one project.

Also exposed forms and rebar deteriorate. Corrosion on rebar is bad when it comes to concrete longevity. It creates a chemical reaction in the slab and invites deterioration, water migration, and the resulting rebar and concrete weakness. If a long period of time passes between successive pours the rebar will definitely become a problem.

If you were pouring a walk, or other light duty project it would be alright to pour in small stages, but for a place where you will probably doing maintanence on your truck, I would wager you want to have a safe and solid platform to work on.

Just my two cents

RL
Agreed! Thanks for speaking up as I forgot to mention this! There are many ways to do it but the right way is to pour all at once!

XM 2742

Hey 4X4.I am not young and spry . I am old and stubborn and will do the entire job myself. I built my own house alone so a 16 X 20 slab ain't s#it.

all yalls advice is great but I had to chuckle a bit at the young and spry remark. I may be old but I ain't dead........lol

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey 4X4.I am not young and spry . I am old and stubborn and will do the entire job myself. I built my own house alone so a 16 X 20 slab ain't s#it.

all yalls advice is great but I had to chuckle a bit at the young and spry remark. I may be old but I ain't dead........lol
Yeah, reading over it again made me chuckle too. I'm old (I phart dust...) and stubborn too, just most people do not realize what goes into pouring and spreading conc, its not as easy as most think it is. But it can be done.

PS: "I may be old but I ain't dead" - thats what I tell my better 1/2 every time I get busted 'looking'. Yes, I got perm claw marks to prove it!!

More power to ya XM!!!

AZDeuce

I had a 6", 30x27' slab poured with 1' footer all the way around, used 3 0r 4000 psi concrete (don't remember) with the fiberglass, NO rebar, it's been over 4 years now, with NO cracks, I watered it every day for a month after it was poured, then let it dry another 2 weeks before I used it. Still looks great.

cundupa

Do like I did, tell the wife it will be much cheaper to buy a surplus M919 site mix truck, pour the concrete yourself and sell the truck when your done!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks