• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Confirm Alternator Belt Part Number

I have been looking for the part number for the M35A2 Alternator Belt. In searching I have come across 3 different part numbers from NAPA and want to see which one is correct.

25-9476
25-9470
25-9465

All three were posted in different treads as being the correct one. I know I need to get two of them.

Thanks!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been looking for the part number for the M35A2 Alternator Belt. In searching I have come across 3 different part numbers from NAPA and want to see which one is correct.

25-9476 is listed in the spreadsheet
25-9470
25-9465

All three were posted in different treads as being the correct one. I know I need to get two of them.

Thanks!
[h=1]Deuce Parts Quick Reference Spreadsheet[/h]

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep already looked at that. So based on your post is it safe to assume 25-9476 is the correct belt and the other two are incorrect.
Well it's never good to assume anything . You could take the part numbers from the TM's and run them through parts-target and get the specs . Doghead has posted the link hundreds of times .

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is how I would solve the question at hand.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
You want to ask for a "matched set". I don't recall off hand which is right.
belt makers don't do that anymore. there is enough precision in belt making that any 2 of the same brand will be the same. there are many different belt qualities however and some may only last for a few years while others will last for tens of years. my truck does not use std length belts, so i cannot confirm size. original belt was 9470 and if you could get them in HD they would last forever

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

I've only used the quick reference spreadsheet napa number and they are correct. You could go a couple inches shorter if you wanted more adjustment for stretch over time but that's kind of pointless. By the time they stretch that much they need replaced anyway. Note that I just recently replaced all of my belts as they were starting to come apart. They all had 1984 cure dates and were the military belts. You'll be hard pressed to find belts that last that long anymore.

brianp454

I looked up the specs on the NAPA web site, they are only different in length and price:

PNNAPA PAPriceAngleLengthTop Width
25-9465NBH 259465 $ 22.44 3646.880.47
25-9470NBH 259470 $ 18.05 3647.380.47
25-9476NBH 259476 $ 24.47 3647.880.47
25-9470HDNBH 259470HD $ 27.33 3847.380.51

As stated above, if you have two belts that run on the same pulleys, they should be a matched set. There's a good chance that all three (in the list) would run on the truck, provided the range of adjustment allows for it. As a best practice, it's best to have a belt that fits on the short side so that it can continue to be tightened as it wears and stretches. I would suggest the shortest one and see how it fits.

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i just checked with gates, they do make the 9470HD and this belt will not stretch. the entire belt is green, not just the back.

welldigger

belt makers don't do that anymore. there is enough precision in belt making that any 2 of the same brand will be the same. there are many different belt qualities however and some may only last for a few years while others will last for tens of years. my truck does not use std length belts, so i cannot confirm size. original belt was 9470 and if you could get them in HD they would last forever
Nope. Matched sets are still around. I found out the hard way that 2 "identical" belts aren't always the same length. I have a local shop that can order matched belt sets for up to 7 groove shives. My old drilling rig had a 5 groove shiv that drove the mud pump. If even 1 belt was off or loose it would slip from the torque exterted.

det45

Parts guys will tell you that they don't make matched sets anymore, but that is not true, their just being lazy or don't know any better. If you call them on it, they just get POed, and probably won't help you out. If you are lucky enough to find a real parts guy, instead of some kid that can only find parts in the computer by make, model and year, you can still get matched sets with the little red tape around the set. Since real parts guys are as hard to find as hens teeth, have the kid bring out several belts and look for the production numbers on them. Belts are made in super wide bands and then cut into individual belts. There is a production number repeatedly printed across the entire width of the original belt. Different manufactures use different formats, but for instance Gates will use a format like 4914 163. There will be three or four of the numbers printed in a column across the belt with the last group progressing each time.
Like this:

4914 163
4914 164
4914 165

This is not the part number and is listed separately on the belt. The first group of numbers is the production number, the last group is that individual belts location in the original wide belt.

To get a matched set, get two belts that have the same production number. It is not uncommon to find belts that were next to each other, which is even better, such as:

4914 163
4914 164
4914 165
===========
4914 166
4914 167
4914 168

If your wondering how I know this, it's 25+ years experience has a professional heavy equipment mechanic. Heavy equipment uses a lot of matched sets. About 15 years ago the bs of no matched sets popped up with the excuse that production quality eliminated the need. Try running a 425 amp alternator on a fire truck without a matched set and you'll find out real quick what a crock that is.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great information but why over think the problem. Takes the parts reference sticky and buy the belts listed. One belt will work on the alternator so matching belts seems overkill.

welldigger

Great information but why over think the problem. Takes the parts reference sticky and buy the belts listed. One belt will work on the alternator so matching belts seems overkill.
Because my ocd won't allow me to see a double groove pulley with one loose belt.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks