• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Conflicting information on using M1009 to pull M101A2 trailer

Sverige

I've read conflicting information on if it's possible to pull an M1009A2 (3/4 ton) trailer with an M1009 CUCV. I own both and was hoping to use them together.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I could tow an M101A2 with a Chevy Tracker. It wouldn't be optimal but with a M1009 you will be just fine. We tow mine behind Chevy and Dodge pickups all the time.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I never had a problem towing 3/4 ton trailers with my blazer. When the m1009 first came out it was rated for towing 3/4 ton trailers off road with a gross trailer weight of 3000 pounds. The trailer TM listed in Appendix A only listed the non surge brake 3/4 ton trailers as well. Later it was changed to only towing 1/4 tons with a load of 1200 pounds on or off road. The max off road weight of a m416 is about 1100 pounds, on road is about 1350 pounds, so I'd wager that the trailer is the limiting factor on the blazer's later tow rating.

K9Vic

The problem is the bumper pintle hitch as it is weak and can rip off if the trailer is too heavy. There is not allot of strength to the system and they are prone to failure. It really is a poor design and could have been better.

This if from a M1009 that had the pintle ripped off due to a heavy trailer when I bought it (fix & resale M1009). Fixed it and put the pintle back on, but I personally would not tow a M101 trailer with it even empty. You can get away with it empty, but with a load you risk this happening.

IMG_3684a.jpg
--------

On my previous M1009 that I owned for 3 years I installed a class V receiver hitch and removed the factory one. I have towed many M101 trailers empty and loaded once with no issues. I would recommend adding this if you plan to us a M101 for hauling with a load.

M1009-M101A2-m.jpgM1009-M101A2-d.jpgM1009-M101A2-p.jpgHitch-02.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks