• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

confused

jhyatt7

I have searched the forum and found threads that tell several ways to install a CB radio into the M1009. I would like to hook up directly to the battery, some say you can some say you can't. Would a positive connection to the rear battery and a negative connection to the body work?aua

ARYankee

There is a 12 volt terminal right by the Glow Plug relay on the firewall. I just crimped a lug on the end of the positive wire for the CB and landed it there. I also crimped a lug on the negative wire and landed it to ground in the cab. That 12 volt terminal comes straight off the positive of the back battery.

I can take some pictures of it and post them on here tomorrow if you would like.

hunderliggur

Be CAREFUL. Get a volt meter and check the voltage between your chosen "hot" point and the chassis ground BEFORE your fry your electronics. CUCV Electric has lots of diagrams like this one http://www.cucvelectric.com/cc.pdf which shows the FRONT battery positive terminal as 12V, not the back battery. Remember, measure twice, connect one ;-)2cents

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That 12 volt terminal comes straight off the positive of the back battery.
Incorrect, that 12 v terminal is the front battery positive .

There are a couple of "empty" 12v +, ignition key switched terminals in the fuse box. All you need is a 1/4" female spade terminal crimped on your CB positive wire.

Use a meter and locate one.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would a positive connection to the rear battery and a negative connection to the body work?
No, that would give you 24 volts.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These folks are guiding you in the right direction for your CB install. I'd like to guide you in proper forum procedures. One of the reasons the search feature didn't get you the information such as in this thread is the same reason the next guy won't find this useful information contained herein. When he goes to search for "CB" or Citizens Band Radio" his search will not yield these results as the topic of the thread, "CB", is not mentioned in the title. Help your fellow forum members, please include the topic in the title for future reference.

In closing, thank you for making the effort to search, many do not. Please don't take offense to my post either, not trying to single anyone out, just posting for the benefit of Steel Soldiers. Hopefully many others will pick up on it and title their threads accordingly.

Respectfully,
Kenny

Panz

I'd say the best way to hook up a CB is to wire it directly to the battery, both plus and minus (anyway that's what I did, following the manual). But the radio still gets some background noise from the generator, so I'd say you can hook the negative to the chassis, won't be much of a difference. Use the front battery, it's 12V.

mistaken1

If you make any kind of connection to a bus bar or battery be sure to include a fuse in the positive wire as close to your source of power as practical or better still do what doghead suggested as those terminals should already be fused.

Red_506

I did a take off from the 12v post on the firewall and put a small fuse panel by the under dash fuse panel for the truck. From there I can install any 12v accessories. I will try to post a picture later, as I am not home at the moment.

ARYankee

Incorrect, that 12 v terminal is the front battery positive .

There are a couple of "empty" 12v +, ignition key switched terminals in the fuse box. All you need is a 1/4" female spade terminal crimped on your CB positive wire.

Use a meter and locate one.
I wasn't 100% sure on my statement about where it came off the battery. Thanks for correcting me DH. I apologize if I led anyone stray. Here is a picture of where I landed mine. It is circled.

Attachments

Red_506

That is exactly where I am taking 12v power from as well. Here is my fuse panel setup. I apologize for the quality, had to do it from photobucket and the original picture was too large.

Attachments

CycleJay

re; confused

That is exactly where I am taking 12v power from as well. Here is my fuse panel setup. I apologize for the quality, had to do it from photobucket and the original picture was too large.
Hello Red,

Where did you get the fusebox?
Do you have to connect that fusebox to a ground connection?
(I would think so... )

Red_506

I got the fuse box at the local auto zone. The box does not get grounded, you attach your hot from the accessory and then ground the accessory separately.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How many extra 12 volt connections does one need? There is more than one 12v tap empty on the stock fuse block.

I will add that, I installed a new 12v+ wire, off my front battery. I went to a auto resetting 20 amp circuit breaker mounted to the inside of the front fender. Then the new wire runs along the original 12v+ feed wire and into the cab through the firewall.

I did it this way(to my cigarette lighter), so I had an always on circuit that I can load to it's maximum capacity(think inverter) and not add any additional load to the stock 12v supply(and fusible links).

There's more than one way to skin an opossum.

Last edited:

Red_506

The reason I put that block in is because I wired a three position cigarette lighter outlet in the rear of the truck, also I have a PA that was wired improperly when I got the truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks