• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Connecting an MEP 002A to the Built-in Auxillary Fuel Tank

wchunn

Greetings,

I"m new to forums and apologize for posting these questions twice in two different places. I "tagged on" to a thread last night (earlier this morning really) that hasn't been active since 2011. I just realized this morning that I could start a new thread specifically about my questions/situation. Here's what I have:

MEP-002A mounted on a 1/12 Ton Military Trailer. The set-up includes a built-in 75-80 gallon aux fuel tank mounted on the left-front of the trailer (as you stand at the hitch facing back towards the trailer). Every thing operates fine except the Aux fuel tank is not connected to anything. Soooo, here are a couple of questions.

1. Underneath the tank there is a large hose attached (3/4" I believe) which has a shutoff valve and a large screw-on fuel filter. The line goes from the bottom of the aux fuel tank to the filter then out from under the trailer and is tied to the side of the trailer right at the front corner (same side as the aux fuel tank, left side when standing at the hitch, facing the genset). The line is capped. When I first saw it I thought it was some sort of arrangement to connect the aux fuel tank to a larger tank but it didn't make a lot of sense to fill the aux fuel tank from the bottom. Of course I'm new to all of this so maybe this makes perfect sense and I'm just to dense to see it. Anyway, I'm looking for further light and knowledge regarding this set up.

2. I have a line attached to the aux fuel pump that runs to a pipe fitting on the top of the aux fuel tank (very near the filler cap). Is this all that is required to access the fuel in the aux tank? I believe I understand from reading various posts here that the aux fuel pump will replenish the set tank from the aux fuel tank when the set tank float detects a certain level. I'm curious a) what level in the set tank will trigger the fuel transfer?, and b) I did the best I could to put fuel in the line but there are still some air pockets. Do I need to bleed the air or will the aux fuel pump take care of that when it starts transferring fuel?

Thank you in advance to any kind soul that can help me out. I've been lost in the woods on these two topics for several weeks and would really appreciate any help. On the good news side, the genset works like a champ, starts right up, provides great power (seems capable of more than 5KW) and seems steady as a rock. :-D

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yes, the aux pump will kick in when the "day tank" gets below half, and top it off. I would hook the aux pump line up to that line at the front corner. Have you drained that tank to see if there is a bunch of crud in it? I would hate to dink up a good running genset with bad fuel.