• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Connecting Rod Bolts and Head Studs

Computerdoc08

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know if ARP or other aftermarket connecting rod bolts or head studs are available? I have searched their site and called, but they didnt have any product numbers in their system.

Thank you

Westech

CPL
So I did this about 15 years ago and ARP said you bet we will makes the bolts you want.
have to order 10k of each bolt…..
so…. Yes it can be done… will it? No way.

Computerdoc08

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I talked to ARP recently it sounded like an initial run of 24 could be done for about $6k.... Then the order size would dictate the price moving forward.

Maybe we need a group buy?? But there probably isn't enough interest to justify the cost.

tommys2patrick

I remember going thru this last year when I did my gaskets and resurfaced the heads. I found that the development of the engine design was such that it predated a change in "standard" thread designs. seems about WWII the standard of one single thread type was deleted. guess which one. I have since learned that this engine was also used in oliver diesel tractors from mid to late 60's. IIRC it was the oliver 2060 series. At the time they had merged/bought the White company. anyway they could still get access to or made their own of the now obsolete head studs and did. Actually it was just the thread type that was obsoleted. By the time I had done all this research, I had gone ahead and reused the old head studs which were in apparent good condition. engine seems fine to me. I thought I would browse some of the tractor and engine websites to find out what classic tractor restorers or farmers were doing about this but lost interest. Back in the day Oliver/White tractors were the leaders in diesel powered tractor design and manufacture. they built and sold more than any other manufacturer. obviously the design was even used by the military for the deuce even such that it was used by continental as well when the army ramped up production for the deuce. the army seemed to like spreading around contracts to different manufacturers for such things when it wanted six jillion of any one thing. usually the original designer/vendor had no choice in the matter. not sure if any of this matters but for what its worth (two cents).

Computerdoc08

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are a few pics of some connecting rod bolts I picked up, they have a few different part #s, not sure which are “better” as they are all 12pt. The heads are slightly different. They were supposed to all match and I’ll be returning so all part #s match.

329EF62D-FED1-4611-93D4-3ACF72AD1DA7.jpegEB50EB77-707F-45F7-9654-FFCF82AA540B.jpeg

Computerdoc08

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are a few pics of some connecting rod bolts I picked up, they have a few different part #s, not sure which are “better” as they are all 12pt. The heads are slightly different. They were supposed to all match and I’ll be returning so all part #s match.

View attachment 842285View attachment 842286
Not sure if it can be seen in the pic, but the two in the middle have totally flat rims around the heads, while the other 2 parts have tapers.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
12 point head connecting rod bolts for White 2-155 tractors were what I used.

Here is one source: https://www.farmlandtractor.com/i-157326-r401091706-white-oliver-connecting-rod-bolt.html?brand:6
Here is another source : https://www.jensales.com/products/e...ard-waukesha-zetor-rod-bolt-hercules-478.html

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

V8srfun

In the racing world it is common to drill out the factory bolt holes to accommodate larger ones. This is extremely common in Japanese gasoline engines that are pushed to the limit in drag racing because they are running incredibly high boost pressure. I said all of that to say if I was in the middle of a rebuild on a LD engine I would be looking in to going with larger diameter studs that I can get off the shelf. If you are that deep in to it you already have the heads and block at the machine shop so the cost to get the holes drilled and tapped will not be that bad.

Computerdoc08

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I havent dug in at this point, i'm slowly acquiring the parts to do a rebuild by purchasing an item or 2 each payday. This week I picked up connecting rod bolts, but they dont all match so I will be returning the ones that don't match.

JasonS

I remember going thru this last year when I did my gaskets and resurfaced the heads. I found that the development of the engine design was such that it predated a change in "standard" thread designs. seems about WWII the standard of one single thread type was deleted. guess which one. I have since learned that this engine was also used in oliver diesel tractors from mid to late 60's. IIRC it was the oliver 2060 series. At the time they had merged/bought the White company. anyway they could still get access to or made their own of the now obsolete head studs and did. Actually it was just the thread type that was obsoleted. By the time I had done all this research, I had gone ahead and reused the old head studs which were in apparent good condition. engine seems fine to me. I thought I would browse some of the tractor and engine websites to find out what classic tractor restorers or farmers were doing about this but lost interest. Back in the day Oliver/White tractors were the leaders in diesel powered tractor design and manufacture. they built and sold more than any other manufacturer. obviously the design was even used by the military for the deuce even such that it was used by continental as well when the army ramped up production for the deuce. the army seemed to like spreading around contracts to different manufacturers for such things when it wanted six jillion of any one thing. usually the original designer/vendor had no choice in the matter. not sure if any of this matters but for what its worth (two cents).
I don't believe that any of this is correct. The multifuel was designed well after ww2 in 1955 and later used in tractors of mid 1970s to mid 1980s. All are standard threads as noted in the tms.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks