• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Considering 5 ton!!

rolling18

GREETINGS!

I am CONSIDERING getting a 5-ton due to increasing physical limitations. Back and knee problems ( I am beginning to need easier power steering and A/T mainly))

I have had my A2 for a few year and many many upgrades. However, I need an easier more city friendly truck. I am noticing there are far more 5 tons than duces for sale.

I am thinkin a 923 or something with a Cummins turbo, CTIS (working), cargo cover, less maintainance, drop sides all as a minimum.

I really don't know further where to go from there... I don't know enough about them to buy from the auctions, yet I need a "fair" deal with most major repairs done and up to date on maintenance (like my A2)
unfortunantly, I don't have endless hours to spend researching all the various nomenclatures and what they mean

Thank you for any and all Ideas/ and input.

dawico

Try to climb into a 5 ton. You may decide it is too difficult with your physical issues. It is a pain for me and I am in decent shape.

You may want to look into upgrades for your truck as a better option.

It sounds like you are looking for a 923A2. I am not sure of other 5 tons that have the Cummins engine and CTIS (besides other A2s).

There are plenty of them for sale. You can gamble and get one cheap at auction or spend more and buy it from an individual. Buying from an individual still doesn't guarantee anything though.

rolling18

Thanks for the quick reply,
I have no problems with climbing in and out oddly enough heh ( I'm a truck driver by trade)

I dont know what else I can upgrade in my A2 (more legroom) easier that air asst steering, and tranny
I agree on the 923a2 from some of the research I have ran across.

I am fully expecting to get flamed/ and told to use "search" about 500 times hehe unfortunatly I have to work 60 hrs a week or more.

GL is definatly a risk with my limited knowledge and resources for recovery (I got lucky when I bought my deuce locally from a former member here and it was mostly "ready to go"
I would like to do something similar from an SS member.

dawico

Getting one from a member is definitely a good thing usually.

I bought my 923a2 private party close to what an auction truck would have cost me (auction price, fees, tax, shipping- they aren't as cheap as they seem). The previous owner had only put batteries in it.

I have a few hundred dollars working on it but have at least a hundred hours in it too. It is pretty much the same as a truck I could have bought at auction. It needed everything, oil, filters/ fuel and oil, coolant system flush, paint work, tire work, light bulbs, wipers, plus general bolts tightened, recent alternator replacement, rebuild the compressor, a whole list of stuff.

A truck that has been worked on like mine won't be cheap is what I am getting at, unless you come across an owner trying to dump one off.

That being said, I love my truck. I looked at deuces and feel like I made a good choice (speaking of getting flamed).

I hope you find the deal you are looking for.

Now a 5 ton being "city friendly" is a whole nother thing. Auto and power steering are nice, but they are big.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A M939 being city friendly is a stretch at best. You'll be borrowing a lane before and after a right angle turn with their turning radius. They are easier to drive with the Auto Trans and Power Steering but their size and poor turning radius makes these moot points in my experience driving in the city.

randygk

Yes, love driving the 5 ton over the deuce with the power steering and A/T. However the 5 ton is definitely a harsher ride. I notice it on the neck and back, but I'm an old guy at 63 and maybe not a problem for the young dudes and dudettes.

rolling18

Thanks for more info!
as far as city driving I am referring to "suburb type" not inner city like a downtown environment.

My Deuce already has the larger 395 tires, how much different is the turning radius (for a u turn) between the two anyway?

Is MPG about 8-10 unloaded average driving an accurate figure??

in "shopping for the 5T, I would be looking for an owner who is an "enthusiast" like most here... and wanting to "unload" for financial or other reasons other than the truck itself.

5T harsher ride???? that is surprising, thought they had an air ride seat Like I do? what about lowering the air pressure in the tires a little (CTIS?)

do the 923A2's require much more maintenance that the M35? ....other than things just being "bigger" thinking of the failure rate of CTIS systems I have read about on here.

mcmullag

Is there anybody from this site kinda near you so you could look at their truck up close?
That has helped me. Yes 8 or 9 mpg is about right.
I find mine where it is just too big to drive and I let it sit in the driveway and only take it out for about 5 parades a year.
They always seem to need some tinkering on them, these here military vehicles.
Hard to explain the ride, it seems those big tires with lots of sidewall seem to give a 'humpy' ride, hard to explain.

rolling18

not with a 5T no...
The main and ONLY reason I went with a m35 VS. 5T in the first place was the Multi-Fuel because I could actually "AFFORD" to drive it on a regular basis! using WMO heh.
Now however, the situation has changed and I do not HAVE to run WMO/ so I can afford diesel.

On a side note, how are the NON-turbo engines compared to Turbo?? (MPG/ performance wise?)

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
..........don't know further where to go from there... ..... yet I need a "fair" deal with most major repairs done and up to date on maintenance (like my A2)....... for any and all Ideas/ and input.
I reading this thinking I see no vendor jump in here with offers.
If you can not be soldier A&B on maintenance then you must find somebody to pay to do it.
So, with all stated limitations and wants it would be best to find someplace you can drive to in a day. Seek someone in business selling what you want where you can take it back for maintenance.

Who What Where is that anywhere near Portland?
I googled to this ........... https://www.google.com/#q=military+truck+sales+and+maintenance+in+portland
You asked.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get an M35A3.

Auto and air assist steering.

My 5-ton will beat you to death, run over you and beat you some more. The ride sucks even with a springer seat.

Maintenance? When you step up to the bigger trucks you really step up to serious weight with anything on the truck. If you have health problems you probably won't be changing a Deuce tire but forgot about a 5-ton. Hub? If we didn't have a forklift in the barn they would be a royal pain.

Mine is an M813 so your mileage may vary with the even bigger M939s.

Woodsplinter

Thanks for more info!
as far as city driving I am referring to "suburb type" not inner city like a downtown environment.

My Deuce already has the larger 395 tires, how much different is the turning radius (for a u turn) between the two anyway?

Is MPG about 8-10 unloaded average driving an accurate figure??

in "shopping for the 5T, I would be looking for an owner who is an "enthusiast" like most here... and wanting to "unload" for financial or other reasons other than the truck itself.

5T harsher ride???? that is surprising, thought they had an air ride seat Like I do? what about lowering the air pressure in the tires a little (CTIS?)

do the 923A2's require much more maintenance that the M35? ....other than things just being "bigger" thinking of the failure rate of CTIS systems I have read about on here.

I have a friend with a 5T that I have driven a few times and I hate it because the ride is so harsh. I love the P/S and automatic but my back cant take the ride. I'll stay with my A2 deuce.

saddamsnightmare

April 25th, 2015.

Besides needing the CDL, even the youngest 5 ton is getting near 50 years of age, and if you wonder why Uncle's letting them go, too many age related issues are creeping up on the series. If anything, a five ton is worse in maintenance then a deuce, because everything is much bigger. Probably the only plus in my eyes is the derrick to get the spare out from behind the cab. Likely one of the GMC General derivatives would do better, and they are not cheap to maintain as they age either.....

Just an opinion (mine), good luck in either case on your hunt!:driver:

61sleepercab

I would suggest a good test drive in a 5 ton to see how they handle and ride. My M925a2 rides like a truck and similar to any big truck it may not suit you. I disagree that M 930 series are prone to break just because they are rated double the weight as a Deuce. You have to check your State regulations as to whether or not you need CDLs as a private owner whose truck is not commercially hauling goods or people.
I have found out that going slow and easy and keeping good safety buffers with traffic makes life easy driving a 5 ton. I do not enjoy driving the white knuckle express just for fun.

rolling18

Frank thanks for the suggestion,
as far as the Deuce I can do most common maintenance myself.. just cant do the larger heavier thing that require air tools
============================================================================

I am guessing I could learn on the 5T as well, I just wouldnt have the $$$ to play catch up if it has been neglected.
thats all a ways down the road tho.

Took a drive up north today (2 hrs.) to Mckenna WA. visit friend with a BUNCH of 5T

I was finally able to drive a few 5T today I really like them!!!
it would be interesting getting used to the auto trans, It feels like it just wants to "go" all the time heh.. I found myself bucking the truck when stopping. I would miss the huge glove/ document box..:(

I drove an M923a2..."mouse motor" and an M8??? Tractor with the non-turbo motor[thumbzup] It a perfect world, the combo for ME would be a 900 series tractor, no CTIS, with a drop side deuce bed to replace the 5th wheel and spare tire crane setup.

Last edited:
As the owner of a newer 5 ton Frankencab rebuild with ROPS(Roll over protections system) including Air ride seats and being a younger guy, I can tell you that even with the air ride seats the ride is still as rough as it gets especially with me keeping the super singles toward there max air capacity at 75 PSI. Also, the turning radius is abysmal on these trucks and as a CDL driver with experience driving Tractor Trailer I can tell you that I have to make as wide of a turn with this truck as I would have pulling a 53ft trailer to make turns at smaller intersections some times.
Also, you better weigh closer to 220 pds if you want to open the hood by yourself when you have to hang on the handle at 7ft off the ground as a counter weight to get it open...on the newer M939 series at least.

rolling18

OldWorld,
your post comes especially valuable to me as we have some similarities...
I also am a 10 Year local truck driver, 3 axle day cab usually w/ 28/48/53ft. trailers. (I can relate)

The guy who's trucks I drove today also had odly enough a franken like yours w/ ROPS yr. 2013 (this is the most likely truck I would get if he comes down in price) heh
I felt the ride was much better in all the 5T I drove today compared to my deuce with the 395/85 tires. AND air ride seat (from semi)
not to mention the cab itself fits my longer legs better with my lower back, left knee problems

I liked the shorter wheel base of the tractor version witch didn't seem much worse that mine (I have air assist steering)
I"m not a big guy at only 5'10 160 lbs. I didn't open the hood myself but the owner in 60's also similar size opens hood O.K.

You don't sound like you are really happy with your truck??
do you wish you had another version? if so.. witch?

sent PM!

OldWorld,
your post comes especially valuable to me as we have some similarities...
I also am a 10 Year local truck driver, 3 axle day cab usually w/ 28/48/53ft. trailers. (I can relate)

The guy who's trucks I drove today also had odly enough a franken like yours w/ ROPS yr. 2013 (this is the most likely truck I would get if he comes down in price) heh
I felt the ride was much better in all the 5T I drove today compared to my deuce with the 395/85 tires. AND air ride seat (from semi)
not to mention the cab itself fits my longer legs better with my lower back, left knee problems

I liked the shorter wheel base of the tractor version witch didn't seem much worse that mine (I have air assist steering)
I"m not a big guy at only 5'10 160 lbs. I didn't open the hood myself but the owner in 60's also similar size opens hood O.K.

You don't sound like you are really happy with your truck??
do you wish you had another version? if so.. witch?

sent PM!
Well, I am as happy as I could get as far as owning a military vehicle goes and would not own another 5 ton variant than the Frankencab for looks and safety reasons...except a fully up armored model. It's just that being used to air ride cabs and OTR trucks like yourself...it is a very rough ride IMO.

Also, regarding the hood...I don't know if mine is heavier or what, but I am 6 ft 210 and either have to hang on the handle to get it open or hang with both hands and prop my knees against the bumper to get it all the way open without it pulling me back up. It's way easier when you have a friend and one guy on each side of the hood. Will respond to your pm now.

rolling18

Get an M35A3.

Auto and air assist steering.

My 5-ton will beat you to death, run over you and beat you some more. The ride sucks even with a springer seat.

Maintenance? When you step up to the bigger trucks you really step up to serious weight with anything on the truck. If you have health problems you probably won't be changing a Deuce tire but forgot about a 5-ton. Hub? If we didn't have a forklift in the barn they would be a royal pain.

Mine is an M813 so your mileage may vary with the even bigger M939s.
A3 was a consideration! but I hear they are much slower? and the motor is problematic?

I actually CAN change a wheel and tire 395/85 (not off the rim) I have done that recently on the street when I broke a valve stem and got a flat.. grrr at 320 lbs. I obviously couldnt lift one heh

I thought the ride was better than my current deuce setup.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks