• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Considering first CUCV purchase

rhuggins

It Looks like I may be able to purchase a 1985 M1009 pretty cheap. It shows 60k miles and appears to be pretty much all original. The bad, I can not start it. The owner says that the flywheel was damaged by the starter due to numerous attempts to start with a low charge on the batteries. The batteries have since been removed along with the starter. He swears it will run and has even promised to refund my money if a new flywheel/starter does not render it drivable. The truck does have significant rust under the drivers door but very little elsewhere that I can see. This truck has been sitting idle for at least 3 or 4 years. Asking price is $2,000.00. Any advice?

Thanks,

Randy

truck1

Walk away! Unless you have experience with these rigs,I would not buy a non-runner that has not run in how long? Wait and shop around. There are still runners out there for sale at fair prices.Look in the classifieds here. Good luck in your search.These are fun rigs but can be a lot of work. Be patient and you will find a decent runner. Just my 2 cents from owning my 1028 and performing many repairs and upgrades. I paid 3K for a good runner with military 2 year old replacement motor from Fort Sill and put another 6K in repairs to make it safe and reliable. Shop around.

I wouldnt buy it either without it running first.... even for 1k.... Also keep in mind, that... If the vehicle hasnt been molested.... the starter is more than likely a 24V starter, which arent cheap... ( probably the reason why its not fixed...) if the seller wants any real money out of it... he's gonna have to fix it... or sell it at a loss.... just my .02

rhuggins

Thank you for the quick responses. I will keep looking, this one was one that I accidentally found while making another purchase. Unfortunately, now I'm really hooked on these vehicles. I need a "farm truck" and these guys look tough as nails. This particular one has been sitting for a while and was not listed for sale so if I'm unsuccessful elsewhere, I could possibly revisit it.

What would be a reasonable cost to replace flywheel and possibly the starter (did not mention earlier but it is sitting in front floor board)? I thought about offering him much less (scrap value) with the understanding that if it works I'd pay the difference. I'm just not sure what the estimated cost would be and if it is even worth messing with. The thought here is that if he is in any way doubtful that it will be fixed with the flywheel he would refuse my offer anyway.

Thanks again,

Randy

Skinny

I agree...walk away. The starter will set you back $150 off fleabay or a surplus supplier. You have a bit of work ahead of you to change out that flexplate. All of that on something which could be seized up anyways or knocking. That is a parts rig worth a couple of hundred bucks.

Saw an M1009 on Craigslist last night...guy wanted $8500 which is double what a mint one is worth. Try buying a CUCV from someone who knows something about them. They aren't made from gold.

I agree...walk away. The starter will set you back $150 off fleabay or a surplus supplier. You have a bit of work ahead of you to change out that flexplate. All of that on something which could be seized up anyways or knocking. That is a parts rig worth a couple of hundred bucks.

Saw an M1009 on Craigslist last night...guy wanted $8500 which is double what a mint one is worth. Try buying a CUCV from someone who knows something about them. They aren't made from gold.
+1

Be patient. They are out there, for less or the same $ and in better shape.

rhuggins

Thanks again, I'll keep looking. I guess the good news is that at least I now know where a potential parts vehicle is. I'll be back with any updates or more questions. If any of you guys see something that may be of interest to me as a starter CUCV, please feel free to let me know.

Randy

Firemanmike69

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could he remove the inspection plate on the trans and bar the engine over to see if there is damage to the flywheel ?

combatwombat16

It is definitely a risky endeavor, but it can work out. Do what Firemanmike69 says and you can corroborate the current owners story fairly easily.

I just recently purchased my first CUCV in the exact same situation as you. The previous owner reported it had chewed up the flex plate ring gear and that it was running prior to being parked due to this. He had all of his old service records(major anyways) so I took a chance. I was able to swap the flex plate and go through all standard new-to-me maintenance items and now have a good, running M1009. There are some little things, like a bad radio install and other annoyances that I am working through, but with a little elbow grease it can work out. I think I am about $500 bucks ahead of having bought a known running M1009 in similar condition. I might have got lucky but I am also not against taking some calculated risks. Who doesn't mind a little gambling every once in a while?

K9Vic

I know it has been said already to walk away, but...
I buy these M1009 for less than that asking price, completely fix them up and sell them. I would not touch that one for anything but scrap/parts in fear that the engine or trans is bad. If they did not know it is a 24v system and you need to remove and charge each battery, who knows what else they damaged. I just bought a M1009 where the front battery wires were connected backwards because the rear red cable was on the negative post as it should. It only fried out the main fusible link and was an easy fix, but an example of people not knowing these trucks and messing them up. So just take your time and look for something else, you will find something better.

Scarecrow1

Hi Randy I am in Florence, SC welcome to the site. I am glad you decided to post the question before you bought it . I would keep your eyes open for a GL sale in Goose Creek or Ft Jackson . You should be able to find one that hasn't been butchered for that kind of money . Good luck...........

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks