• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Considering on buying a M1009

debruin

Hi guys, I'm thinking about buying a M1009 which I found in Dakar, Senegal. Parts are extremely scarce for old American cars, because the few that were imported here usually still drive. I heard about issues with the M1009 such as the unreliable 6.2 Detroit diesel v8 and axles that break. It's impossible to find these parts, how common are these problems? And are there more things I need to know? I'll take some pics of it when I'm in Dakar again. I have 1 pic but I don't know how to upload it here it's on my phone. The M1009 is white with a bull bar, roof rack, home made front window (not kidding!) and a few flat tires. Also fun fact, the only M1008 I found is an ambulance there!

Last edited:

cucvrus

Every thing you heard is a lie. Buy it and forget everything you were told about it. You are open for a challenge? I hope so but I heard no truth to anything you listed. I have owned a few for over 20 years. That's a fact. Happy Holidays.

4x4Cove

I run mine mostly on vegetable oil now for about 10 years; x-country w/M104 trailer & back and most of my problems were self inflicted with fuel delivery.
Cpmpletely stock would have been a breeze. Still using it mostly for hauling my kayak to fish. The bulk of my stock problems has just been glow plug related.
OK; I burned up a set of wheel bearings.... :(

2deuce

The CUCV is a well built, easy to work on machine. The fact that they are easy to work on also makes them easy to modify and that is where in my opinion the unreliable reputation comes from. Being in Senegal may give challenges on parts if you don't have reliable mail service to order parts. For it's intended use they are great, but if you have a lot of sand in Senegal you may be a bit disappointed as most assembly line built vehicles are weak in sand.

debruin

Good to hear that they aren't as bad as some people say. And the roads in Dakar certainly aren't bad, nearly every road is of good quality. Parts are hard to find but at where my cousin works theres a guy with a 80s GMC Suburban with an unusual high roof at the rear so maybe that once was a crew cab pickup turned into a wagon. Also does the M1008 have any parts in common with the S10? I know a wrecked one.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1009/1009 decent vehicle parts are very available fuel filters are easy to change, lousy highway speed with the rear end gears and noisy beyond belief!!
KK

2deuce

Depends what you think is lousy highway speed and how much noise is too much. I don't have a problem with either, but I don't think of this vehicle as a touring car either. I think the M1009 blazer often gets confused with the M1008 pickup and the original poster is not clear on this either.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks