• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Considering Trade for '69 M35a2

myothercarisanmv

I have a 1996 Ford F250 I've been fixing up for a long time, it's in great shape. I've been wanting a Deuce or M1078 for probably 10+ years and I came across an ad for a '69 Deuce. He's asking $7k for it which seems low to me. He also painted it tan with latex house paint :( He said he only used house paint because the guy he bought it from already had a coat of white house paint on it. The pictures look good actually, so I'm not too worried about the paint as long as it isn't over rust or something.

Is there anyone in the west Phoenix/Peoria AZ area that would like to come check out a Deuce for me? Here's what he's told me so far: needs tires and the rear brake cylinders are leaking. I've been looking for about an hour for a guide and haven't found one, so maybe someone could point me in that direction too.

Thanks!

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
House paint is actually a good choice for these vehicles, especially in your climate.

The wheel cylinders aren't expensive, and the brakes on these things aren't hard to work on, but they're critical if they fail.

@CastleBravo is in your area and maybe could go with you to get a look. @fasttruck also nearby and is one of the most knowledgeable people I've met.

Also, a shameless plug for my M818 that is for sale and located in AZ.

fasttruck

M35s, compared to what followed, are painfully primitive. Parts are available, just not at Auto Zone. Before attempting to operate or maintain one, read the reading. operators' manual, organizational maintenance manual, parts book and lubrication order. There are about 42 grease points on a M35A2, more if it has a winch. Neglect them at your own peril. Grease is cheap. Parts are not. The aforementioned pubs, in the 9-2320-209 series, can be found in the TM section on this site. Do you know how an Army light switch works ? Read on.

If the truck you are looking at hasn't spent its' whole life in AZ, the most common rust out spots are the bottom of the doors and the point where the toeboard, the floorboard, and the side of the cab come together.

The usual automotive caveats come into play: check for leaks of any kind, all systems operational (lights, charging, brakes, steering, electrical etc.), missing parts, condition and age of tires and so on. If you have leaky slave cylinders, Army has been using DOT 5 brake fluid for 20 years so that is what is probably in the master cylinder if you have to add any. If previous civilian owners have been hacking at the military wiring; beware. You cannot imagine how much military equipment has been destroyed through the years by untrained personnel with unauthorized tools and parts trying to repair it.

Members of the Arizona Military Vehicles Collectors' Club can be sources of parts and advise. They met the first Thursday of the month in the Luke American Legion post on 7th AV in Phoenix. They have a web site "Armytrucks.org."

The M35 design started in the early 50s for Korea and was in use through the first Gulf war. An M 35 will only make about 52 mph flat out. Modifications through the years include seat belts and turn signals. A 1969 chassis should have an air operated front wheel drive. Electricals are straight 24 volts. Numerous posts are available on this site for modifications, some good, some not. If you need to go 80 mph, get a Peterbilt.

fasttruck

Prices are going up in light of the fact that the supply from the military has dried up as they apparently have sold the last one, as they did for M37s, M38s and anything else that was good. Trucks surface from time to time that are being cast off by fire departments and other emergency service providers. These trucks are not usually offered because they are in the pink of unmodified condition. The selection of used equipment of all types is less in the west as there are more bases and sale points in the east.

myothercarisanmv

House paint is actually a good choice for these vehicles, especially in your climate.

The wheel cylinders aren't expensive, and the brakes on these things aren't hard to work on, but they're critical if they fail.

@CastleBravo is in your area and maybe could go with you to get a look. @fasttruck also nearby and is one of the most knowledgeable people I've met.

Also, a shameless plug for my M818 that is for sale and located in AZ.
If any of those guys are interested, that would be awesome. I can throw a bit of a cash your way.

...If you need to go 80 mph, get a Peterbilt.
hahaha. I don't need to do 80. 52 is fine.

Prices are going up in light of the fact that the supply from the military has dried up as they apparently have sold the last one, as they did for M37s, M38s and anything else that was good. Trucks surface from time to time that are being cast off by fire departments and other emergency service providers. These trucks are not usually offered because they are in the pink of unmodified condition. The selection of used equipment of all types is less in the west as there are more bases and sale points in the east.
I have about $10k invested in my truck and I'm confident I could sell it for $8-9k. We would be trading. Is $7k low for a relatively stock Deuce? it looks completely stock other than a 1000 gallon tank welded on the bed, and the paint.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks