• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Constant cranking suggestions?

Earlier this year I my 09 struggled with slow cranking. Cleaned bus bar connections, put a new DB electric starter in it, and put new batteries in it. I figured I was going to do it eventually why not do it all at once! I bathed in awesome starting glory until yesterday.

Turned the key and all I got was a click... then all of a sudden started cranking and wouldn't stop. Rushed around and disconnected the Batteries before she went up in flames. Whew!

Doghead Mod time I thought... well should've done it sooner but, now it was 100% necessary. Got the parts this evening and put them in, shrink wrap, awesome connections, I was proud of this one! Connected the batteries. All good so far. Turned the key and ZOOOM! it cranked! Welp unfortunately it wouldn't stop cranking! I disconnected the battery. Tried again same story....

Anyone have any thoughts here? Could something be wrong in my steering column? Could the starter solenoid have gone bad already? Did my dog-head mod fail? Im stumped. Any suggestions would be great on how I should proceed... aua

cucvrus

Also may I ask. Is the Starter support bracket in place and tight. That can cause the starter to twist and remain engaged in the ring gear. It could require shims on the starter nose.

If I connect the batteries the truck will not start cranking until I turn the key, i can then turn the key off and remove it and it keeps cranking.
Could this be a stuck solenoid? For some reason I though a stuck solenoid would crank right when the negative gets reattached to the battery. Am I wrong here? I am by no means an electrical expert...

I just removed the starter bracket this evening as I dropped the starter after the first episode to visually check and see if it had caught on fire or something. I shoul've looked better at the solenoid. Not sure how to specifically test the solenoid. I tried cranking it without putting the bracket on first.

cucvrus

Check the small wire see if it is getting the signal all the time. I never did anything but switch the relay to a new one. Did it still have the 6TL batteries?

I can try to find a test light in the shop tomorrow. If the small wire is always getting power that would indicate to the relay being bad correct? Or some serious short somehwere...

I noticed the relay was newer so I wasn't compelled to change it immediately. Yes it still had the 6TLs, they are still good! But I have two new heavy duty napa gold group 31s in the truck now.

cucvrus

The 6TL's are 6 years old. I would have my doubts about them load testing. But yes you could have a short. I doubt. But possible. How long has the starter been on?

Went ahead and ordered a new db electric 24v starter. Going to rebuild the one I have even though its only been in the truck for a few months...

rsh4364

Db electric is the company that convinced me to stick with the old gm dd starters, the last time I ordered one of theirs 1 bolt hole was so far off I had to drill it out about 1/16 " just to get both bolts started at one time.

cucvrus

Christian fish that truck has been around. It came from Detroit/Flint in 86. Went to Georgia for about 10 years Fort Benning. And was at Indiantown Gap and went to DRMO Mechanicsburg and was picked up by PA department of general services. It went to a volunteer fire company up in northern PA. They wanted a pick up truck and when they got the pickup truck the M1009 was sent back to PA forestry and the Pinegrove Police Department received it. They were using it to patrol the off road sites and keep 4 wheeling ATV's and other off roaders out of the private property. They hated the truck. No A/C and they went to work clean and went home very tired and dirty. I laughed when I picked it up. I heard all the stories about it. Said 8 hours in that was torture. When I had it I sold it to a GM at the assembly plant he sold it to his Son and he drove it to Indiana. From there a garage mechanic in Indiana bought it and now I guess you have it in Vermont. Good Luck with that truck. I know a lot of money was spent on it. The GM had deep pockets and he would buy all kinds of parts and pay me to install them.

I love the truck! Its my adventure rig, hunting, fishing, cruising around, my favorite wheeled machine.
drove it to montana and back last fall on an elk hunt 5500 miles in a month. only problem was a blown u joint. Duct tape and a ratchet strap got my to the nearest oreillys!
Awesome to hear the history behind it. Any idea if the tranny was rebuilt at all when you had it?
Ill keep an eye on the starter, Ive had good luck with them in the past.

cucvrus

CUCV Lock out 001 - Copy.jpgCUCV Lock out 002 - Copy.jpgCUCV Lock out 003.jpgCUCV Lock out 004.jpgCUCV Lock out 005.jpg001.jpg002.jpg009.jpg
I love the truck! Its my adventure rig, hunting, fishing, cruising around, my favorite wheeled machine.
drove it to montana and back last fall on an elk hunt 5500 miles in a month. only problem was a blown u joint. Duct tape and a ratchet strap got my to the nearest oreillys!
Awesome to hear the history behind it. Any idea if the tranny was rebuilt at all when you had it?
Ill keep an eye on the starter, Ive had good luck with them in the past.
Pictures. New U joint in November 2014. Rear U joint on rear drive shaft.