• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Contact Box Trailer build

bshupe

I am looking to convert my 1031 to a 1008 and install the contact box on a trailer frame. I need to figure out which trailer(s) frame would be the correct size and capacity for this. With the box being about 800# + generator etc. Im thinking the box alone will be 1/2T. With hauling capacity Im thinking I need at least a 1T trailer..... Problem is I dont know squat about the trailers or even where to go to bone up on them.

Anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

MatthewH

Search the Trailer section, as a couple of people have done this before. I believe Recovery 4x4 used a M101A2. I put my M887 box on a truck frame I cut down and made a trailer into. Not as convenient as being mounted on a truck, but works for now.

bshupe

Recovery - Thanks for the link. I did search but I didnt find this one. - NOT COMPLAINING - The search on here can be a little testy sometimes and it was late last night when I was looking so who knows.

Find a 1 ton K30 frame, cut it in half and make some welds. You know kinda like those pickup beds turned trailers...
Thats what the box was on in the first place. Plus it already has a place for leaf springs (or might have springs and an axle on it already).

bshupe

Find a 1 ton K30 frame, cut it in half and make some welds. You know kinda like those pickup beds turned trailers...
Thats what the box was on in the first place. Plus it already has a place for leaf springs (or might have springs and an axle on it already).
Im with you on the idea but I would like to have something that looks like US military not Iraqi military surplus. rofl

Im with you on the idea but I would like to have something that looks like US military not Iraqi military surplus. rofl

Depending how you do it... I think you could make it look pretty original OD. Triangulate the front of the frame and put a pintle ring on. Although I suppose, in that case... you could just buy a M101/105 type of trailer and remove the bed and plop your contact box on it.

MatthewH

That's how I bult mine. I took a '93 Dodge D350, cut the frame right behind the trans crossmember. I added some C-channel to the front, replaced the D70 with a Dexter 7k electric brake axle, and built a little deck on the front.

Attachments

jets1959

What generator do you have the gas or the pot driven one? The pro won't work on a trailer. If you still want to do this I could use the spare pro and gen parts for mine!:grd:

bshupe

What generator do you have the gas or the pot driven one? The pro won't work on a trailer. If you still want to do this I could use the spare pro and gen parts for mine!:grd:
It is a PTO gen but I will have to respectfully argue your statement about its ability to work on a trailer or not. Having it on a trailer and retaining the use of the gen and compressor etc is the key feature of this project.

I look forward to seeing you at a rally sometime and I will give you the full tour when its done.

bshupe

I figure that if I have to put it into service I will either be in a place with a great view and no govt lackies around or the balloon has gone up and they will all be under their desks. Either way I will be free to operate as safely as the situation dictates.

I plan on doing a build thread for it. At the moment is it is only on paper but getting the truck was step one. Next, acquire a trailer or frame.

jets1959

Brad has some gen set trailers with out the gens. He should let them go fairly cheaply. I will or you can contact Scott to find out how to get in touch with Brad. :grd:

bshupe

Brad has some gen set trailers with out the gens. He should let them go fairly cheaply. I will or you can contact Scott to find out how to get in touch with Brad. :grd:
Im not sure who Brad or Scott are but a source for a cheap gen trailer sounds good to me. Can you define "cheap"?

bshupe

Mine started as an M116A3. Switched to an A2 axle and went from there.
Thanks! I think I recall reading that in your thread on this subject as well. Did you have to do much modifications to get the box to bolt up or was it pretty simple? Also, it would seem that a 116 trailer frame/chassis would be a better "anchor" for the box and not quite so tipsy as a cut up civi frame. Agree?

Also, what benefit did you gain in swapping the axle?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The A3 axle and tires were too wide for the box. I tried the HMMWV tires on the A2 axle but they didn't clear the inner frame of the SECM box. As it turns out, the E rated 235/85R16 tires worked well. The box fit quite well but if it sits flat on the trailer frame the back will be low. The box frame has an angle fro the raised rear frame section. 2" blocks at the rear worked out perfect. The 116 chassis really was ideal for the swap and towed pretty well. Panzerwillie is the current owner.