• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Contact Maintenance Deuce?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One more thought here, no laughing. Suppose I had a really good running gasser deuce chassis cab. original type bed are rare as hens teeth and the original data plate was missing. Suppose one were to put the 3053A tranny in it for a top speed of near 70. The truck would only weigh around 10,000#. Just thinking out loud here.

Capt.Marion

I like the contact-maintenance bobbed deuce idea. If anything, you could bring parts with you, and still have a truck that can perform reasonably well in a recovery/towing situation.

I'd stick with the dime-a-dozen stock 35A2 and just bob it, and maybe later try the gasser with 3053A route... if you don't like it, swap powerplants.

PsycoBob

BigBee- maybe a pair of deuce tailgates for flip-down platforms? Shouldn't add more than a few inches to the width.

For hauling heavy stuff like o2 bottles, perhaps a strap-winch like boat trailers use and a simple L-shaped pole that drops into one of several pockets behind the toolboxes, like the normal bows.

MARCO1031

Hey Ken that looks pretty nice...Hey I recognize that maint body :-D. I still think it is a cool concept but as mentioned before you either need to tall or have some fold out steps of some kind. I disagree with Brian on the scale. I think you are pretty close especially since this body has the taller compartment in the front. There is very little overhang in the back so you could get in and out of some pretty tight spots.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Scale is pretty close, not perfect. Both the deuce and dodge have a 60" cab to axle distance. I did measure both bodies. Shawn, guess I shoulda asked first eh? I'm just toying with the idea now. Papercu offered me an M1008 and if I take the plunge on that, I'll just move the maintenance body over to it. I have to figure out the dimensions to cut the LF box floor to clear the fuel tank.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now the lift gate is a dang good idea. The box is fully enclosed on this one. Wheels are really turnin now.

Rattlehead

Wheels are turnin....uh oh. For me, that usually means lots more time and $$$ than originally planned.

I'm thinking, rolling tool box that can be quickly secured inside. Roll it onto the liftgate and set it on the ground. Use in place, then lift it back up. Plus it helps with heavy stuff like floor jacks, torch bottles, etc.

With so much my work being done outside, and spreading out farther and farther from the garage as the collection grows, I've been thinking of a sort of small towable tool trailer that could be moved with a garden tractor or atv. Pull it back into the garage when done. A tool cart sometimes isn't big enough, and the wheels aren't typically lawn or gravel friendly.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rattlehead, this whole thing got started because I got tired of dragging torches across the yard to where the trucks are. The body has a compartment for the torches, its pretty cool but I also like the thought of a wheeled Jobox to move about and use as a bench then roll it back in the truck. The top would make a handy spot for a vise. Speaking of vises, this whole hobby is a vice!

bubba_got_you

Rattlehead, this whole thing got started because I got tired of dragging torches across the yard to where the trucks are. The body has a compartment for the torches, its pretty cool but I also like the thought of a wheeled Jobox to move about and use as a bench then roll it back in the truck. The top would make a handy spot for a vise. Speaking of vises, this whole hobby is a vice!
it would have come in handy around this time

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks