• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

contact switch bypass

laplander

My steering lock cilinder is broke and the steering wheel won't come off.
( lock is in the run position) My mechanic broke his wheel puller and thinks there is some sort of superglue in it. Idea is to just leave it as it is and just put an extra key switch/pushbutton on the dashboard. Which wires do I cut at the bottom of the steering wheel to do this? (i e hotwire the truck) I looked at the scheme in the TM but can' t figure it out. Alternative ways to remove the steering wheel are welkome too.

N1265

Remove the horn ring, put the nut back on the shaft and screw it so it is flush with the end of the shaft.

Then take both of your legs (Thies) and wedge them on the bottom / back side of the steering wheel while pulling back with one hand at the top, Then take a hammer and hit the retaining nut .

The steering wheel should pop off, You should not have to hit it hard but you may have to hit it a couple of times. The idea is to have backward pressure on the wheel while striking the shaft.

It is important to have the nut flush and not to hit overly hard, if you don't you will damage the threads on the shaft and it will be a pain to get the nut started when you go to put it back together.

Wyofj40

I'm not sure, I know I had an 84 ford diesel and the switch in the column just ran a rod back and forth. Then down at the bottom of the column there was an actual electronic switch that the rod attached to and slid it back and forth. These might be similar. In TM 9-2320-289-34 in chapter 4 page 92 it looks to be that switch

Last edited:

laplander

I tried hitting the shaft under tension, I have even been driving around with a steering wheel puller on it, soaked the shaft in WD40, and it won't come off.
Only thing I didn't do is heat it, but I'm affraid the surrounding plastic might melt. If parts here in Belgium weren't so expensive, I'd grind it down and replace the whole column

gaunt1969

go to the parts store and rent a steering wheel and lock puller kit. it will come off if done correct. and the lock cylinder does actuate a rod down to the switch under the dash. just look at the TM has the info on how to replace the lock cylinder.

laplander

My mechanic, who has 20+ years of experience with these vehicles, tried it with the proper chevy puller, while hammering and pulling (and cursing)
Said this was the first time he didn't pull it off in less than a minute:razz:
I think I read a post here once about a glued on steering wheel, so I suppose it is possible. Don't see the use of it though, the retaining nut was still in place as it should be.

BiggsChevys

mine was similar.... the horn button was long gone, and there is evidence of where water sat stagnent within the steering wheel... i also soaked mine in wd-40 and was finally able to get it off 2 days later with a puller. bent the puller bolts and scared the tip of the steering shaft with the puller stud.

personally there are 2 ways i would do it....

first is a temp fix so you can drive it for now..... remove the ignition switch from the base of the column and operate it manually with a small screw driver....

the second is find another column..... non tilt columns are not hard to come by with a steering wheel still attached... this could solve all related problems with a 15 minuite swap.

but to bypass the ignition lock is foolish in my opinion... its one of the few security systems you do have. if someone really wants the truck, the lock wont stop them... but it will stop the average teenage joy ridding moron....