• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Contacted dog head relay connections

tardy_pizza

I was under the dash of my m1028 the other day tidying things up. I had my radio out for a new instrument cluster as well. Putting the radio back in I let it go and it made contact with the starter relay and caused a short. I installed the new one today and went to start it up. I’ve got no generator lights but all the others come on. Turn the key and I can hear it click but no crank. What else could I have fried? Also the dog head relay is done on my truck.

joshuak

I was under the dash of my m1028 the other day tidying things up. I had my radio out for a new instrument cluster as well. Putting the radio back in I let it go and it made contact with the starter relay and caused a short. I installed the new one today and went to start it up. I’ve got no generator lights but all the others come on. Turn the key and I can hear it click but no crank. What else could I have fried? Also the dog head relay is done on my truck.
If you're working with stock wiring, I'd make sure I had 24v coming to the starter relay. After the smoke left you may have fried a fusible link.

Look at diagram F-1 Starting Circuits found in the link bellow.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/cucv-wiring-diagram-color-except-m1010.75505/

cucvrus

Exactly why I never liked the starter relay modification. Too many open positive connections in an entirely negatively surrounded steel environment. I seen a CUCV truck that a quarter burnt a hole in the dash when in slipped down under the dash and contacted a homemade relay. Melted a lot of wiring. I am not sure of the amperage rating of a quarter. But I know a 5/8" wrench left on the starter stud and batteries connected will melt the battery posts. I bought a truck from DRMO with the wrench and batteries still in place. Maybe they were installing a starter with the batteries hooked up. The World may never know. Get a sealed connection starter relay and be safe. Good Luck.

MarcusOReallyus

You likely fried some fusible links. Check the "CUCV Helpful Threads" sticky for detailed info. There's a rundown on fusible links.

I agree with Rick. The Doghead Mod is an accident waiting to happen, and that 100 amp relay is massive overkill. Antennaclimber measured the current at 9 amps, so any decent 20 or 30 amp automotive relay will do the job nicely. Use good quality insulated connectors and life is good.