• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Containers for wmo/wmo mix

banditt1979

Hi guys, I am working on converting my old waste oil into fuel for my multifuel and was wondering what type of containers we like to use. I picked up two white 55 gallon food grade drums thinking I could easily see the fuel level and mark it for easy mixing ratios. But my concern is folks on the net saying the plastic will degrade and leak over time. I want to keep my fuel long term say a couple years as a reserve before we move. Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated!

Last edited:

87cr250r

You need to watch this, I think. It is a parody of what you have done.

With that said, I hope you're using conductive hoses and pump. I have personally seen a static discharge from a hand truck filter cart that was using non-conductive hoses.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I was first starting out with WVO about 30yrs ago, I employed a gaggle of jerrycans and did the mixing by hand, dumping from one can to another.. For storage, I relied on the growing stash of plastic 5-gallon motor/hyd/gear oil pails. This kept handling weight to a minimum.. Those oil pails have handles, removable tops, and are stackable.. But as the processed oil supply outgrew my pails and jerrycans, I switched to using standard 275g heating oil tanks...

275's might work well for you because they can be found cheap, have the fuel level gauge, and some have a bottom drain port.. I also have four 300g steel farm (skid) tanks, but I have them for normal fuels and require sticking for level monitoring... Whenever I ran out of storage for the WVO,, 55g steel drums on pallets worked fine.

I built a filtering outfit from a couple 55g steel drums and a couple oil-rated pumps to move product between drums, through the filters, and dispensing.. Everything is grounded for static because of flammables used in the mix... At the final filter set is a long standard dispensing hose with nozzle to direct-fill trucks and heavy equip etc... Portable, the whole outfit rides on a low-profile covered trailer .. I found out last spring it was not bear proof, but obviously you will not have that problem with WMO . ;)

Last edited:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The blue plastic water jugs/barrels work fine, I stored my dieselgas concoction in them for years. If you have the room, the smaller the better. They can be stacked. 15 gallon drums are the largest I would go with if I were to do it again. They are haevy but can be moved with a hand truck. Any larger you need a lifting and transporting device.