• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Contemplating getting a Deuce

Bo1

Hello,
My name is Bo, and I live in Louisiana. I am new to the site, and new to military trucks.
I know a guy on another site that is interested in selling his '71 M35A2. It has already been bobbed, and looks to have fairly fresh paint on it. ( the lighter army green)
His description is listed below. My question is if the truck is in the described shape, is 6K a decent price?

I am going to try to post the one and only picture (from 2010 or so) I have

Bruce_Deuce.jpg

thanks for any input,

Bo

It's not drivable as it sits right now, because it needs new batteries after sitting so long (24-volt system).
That's an easy fix. I suspect it may need brake work, also due to the long inactivity.

To learn a whole lot about the systems and bob-tails in particular, go to a website called "Steel Soldiers", which is to military vehicles, what "Cast Boolits" is to bullet-casting.

I'm sure you're wondering what I would ask for it..... $6000 is less than I paid for it, and I think a fair value for what it is.

I did get just a couple of chances to drive it, for a total of maybe 75 or 100 miles... a lot of effort and money for so little return. The engine will run on almost anything.... diesel, kerosene, ATF, used oil from KFC, used motor oil... you name it.

Thanks for your interest.

It's a 1971-built truck. For some reason, it was registered as a VOLVO M35A2 in Arizona, and that's what the Nevada title says as well. It's described as a "pickup" with GVW of 15,000 pounds (I think).

I have no idea who did the conversion work, since I bought it from a gent in Phoenix who had in turn bought it from someone else. I saw his ad on EBay, and bought it without ever seeing it in person. He had excellent photos, but unfortunately I do not. The pic on the CB thread was one of his which someone was kind enough to move over from EBay.

The interior is as-issued, but in very nice condition (remembering that it's a MILITARY truck.) The bench seat is in excellent shape, and seat belts are installed. It does NOT have a heater, as many of the trucks were built according to where they would be based on delivery. Not much need for heat in LA, but kits are available if desired.

All instruments are in working order.

The bed is taken from a M101 military trailer, which is nice because the canvas trailer covers and ribs all fit perfectly and are very reasonable in price. I'd intended to get those accessories, but the roof fell in before I did.

It has the correct issue PTO winch in working order.

I don't recall the mileage, as it’s been almost four years since I've been inside it. Besides, mileage on a vehicle like this is largely meaningless since it's likely been overhauled several times at least.

The tires are in decent shape, being all Michelins except the spare. That spare is flat right now, and it really should be mounted on a wheel the same size as the ones on the truck.... the current wheel is a stock 2.5-ton size and is a bit too narrow. OK for a spare, but not for full-time use.

The truck needs windshield wipers; there are civilian ones that will fit. It could also use a new exhaust stack, easily available. All the glass, mirrors etc are in good condition.

The air-shift front axle is FAR superior to the Sprague-type that appears on many similar trucks. The four-wheel drive works well.

I really recommend some extensive reading on that Steel Soldiers site. I read stuff there for over a month, almost continuously, and it was well worth my while. Even the light switch needs some study for correct operation.... it's an electronic switch with VERY DIFFERENT functions from the simple on-off in a civilian vehicle.

When the batteries are good, it starts easily and runs smoothly.

There are two big 12-volt batteries hooked-up in series to give 24 volts. Specs are available on the SS site, and most garages should be able to get them conveniently. 12-volt conversions for the truck are also available, but why bother?

An oil change takes TWENTY-TWO QUARTS! I think there's enough oil over there (I'm 175 miles away) for the next change.

Expected mileage on diesel fuel seems to be around fifteen miles per gallon.... but used motor oil sometimes comes pretty cheaply. About all it requires is some filtering; there's loads of info on that website.

By the way, the original designation for this truck is M35A2... that can be IMPORTANT when looking for accessories, parts, etc.

An M35A3, for example, is very different from an A2.

Any more questions, I am right here behind this keyboard.... feel free to ask.

If you were buy this, I recommend that it be hauled home in its non-running state, Trying to get it running in somebody else’s yard could be a real pain; much better to have it at home where time is not so critical. Still, I think that just the battery change could see it running and that would make loading it onto the trailer much easier.

It's not drivable as it sits right now, because it needs new batteries after sitting so long (24-volt system).
That's an easy fix. I suspect it may need brake work, also due to the long inactivity.

To learn a whole lot about the systems and bob-tails in particular, go to a website called "Steel Soldiers", which is to military vehicles, what "Cast Boolits" is to bullet-casting.

I'm sure you're wondering what I would ask for it..... $6000 is less than I paid for it, and I think a fair value for what it is.

I did get just a couple of chances to drive it, for a total of maybe 75 or 100 miles... a lot of effort and money for so little return. The engine will run on almost anything.... diesel, kerosene, ATF, used oil from KFC, used motor oil... you name it.

Thanks for your interest.

It's a 1971-built truck. For some reason, it was registered as a VOLVO M35A2 in Arizona, and that's what the Nevada title says as well. It's described as a "pickup" with GVW of 15,000 pounds (I think).

I have no idea who did the conversion work, since I bought it from a gent in Phoenix who had in turn bought it from someone else. I saw his ad on EBay, and bought it without ever seeing it in person. He had excellent photos, but unfortunately I do not. The pic on the CB thread was one of his which someone was kind enough to move over from EBay.

The interior is as-issued, but in very nice condition (remembering that it's a MILITARY truck.) The bench seat is in excellent shape, and seat belts are installed. It does NOT have a heater, as many of the trucks were built according to where they would be based on delivery. Not much need for heat in LA, but kits are available if desired.

All instruments are in working order.

The bed is taken from a M101 military trailer, which is nice because the canvas trailer covers and ribs all fit perfectly and are very reasonable in price. I'd intended to get those accessories, but the roof fell in before I did.

It has the correct issue PTO winch in working order.

I don't recall the mileage, as it’s been almost four years since I've been inside it. Besides, mileage on a vehicle like this is largely meaningless since it's likely been overhauled several times at least.

The tires are in decent shape, being all Michelins except the spare. That spare is flat right now, and it really should be mounted on a wheel the same size as the ones on the truck.... the current wheel is a stock 2.5-ton size and is a bit too narrow. OK for a spare, but not for full-time use.

The truck needs windshield wipers; there are civilian ones that will fit. It could also use a new exhaust stack, easily available. All the glass, mirrors etc are in good condition.

The air-shift front axle is FAR superior to the Sprague-type that appears on many similar trucks. The four-wheel drive works well.

I really recommend some extensive reading on that Steel Soldiers site. I read stuff there for over a month, almost continuously, and it was well worth my while. Even the light switch needs some study for correct operation.... it's an electronic switch with VERY DIFFERENT functions from the simple on-off in a civilian vehicle.

When the batteries are good, it starts easily and runs smoothly.

There are two big 12-volt batteries hooked-up in series to give 24 volts. Specs are available on the SS site, and most garages should be able to get them conveniently. 12-volt conversions for the truck are also available, but why bother?

An oil change takes TWENTY-TWO QUARTS! I think there's enough oil over there (I'm 175 miles away) for the next change.

Expected mileage on diesel fuel seems to be around fifteen miles per gallon.... but used motor oil sometimes comes pretty cheaply. About all it requires is some filtering; there's loads of info on that website.

By the way, the original designation for this truck is M35A2... that can be IMPORTANT when looking for accessories, parts, etc.

An M35A3, for example, is very different from an A2.

Any more questions, I am right here behind this keyboard.... feel free to ask.

If you were buy this, I recommend that it be hauled home in its non-running state, Trying to get it running in somebody else’s yard could be a real pain; much better to have it at home where time is not so critical. Still, I think that just the battery change could see it running and that would make loading it onto the trailer much easier.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since it is titled as a Volvo I would not only pass on it ,I would run from it .

Last edited:

mikey

Some red flags:

1) Title - Not only is it titled as a Volvo, the GVWR is incorrect.
2) Ran when parked, may need brake work
3) Recommend you haul it home
4) Owned it for 100 miles and is willing to sell it for less than he paid

The title issue alone is worth walking away. Then you have to wonder what he knows about the truck that he's willing to sell it for less than he paid 100 miles ago.

Mikey

Bo1

The reason for not driving it, and selling it, is that he has had 2 heart attacks, lost a leg, and got divorced all within the first year of getting the truck. He seems to be a stand up guy, that just hit a streak of bad luck...
Thanks for any comments..
Bo

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is his nick-name "Lucky"?

mikey

The reason for not driving it, and selling it, is that he has had 2 heart attacks, lost a leg, and got divorced all within the first year of getting the truck. He seems to be a stand up guy, that just hit a streak of bad luck...
Bo
Pun intended?

Some of the best deals on MV's, sadly, is at the expense of the sellers finances or health. If you're willing to spend the cash and trusting him, you could wind up with a pretty decent bobber for a fair price. You will still have to deal with the title issue, but that in itself is not insurmountable.

There is an old saying on SS, buy the truck, not the story. Only you can decide whether you trust the guy enough to buy the story.

Mikey

Jeepsinker

Where in cenla are you? You should really come over and take a look at what I have here before you purchase something questionable like that. I'm over just south of Fort Polk.

Bo1

I am about 45 minutes from Fort Polk, in Pineville/Tioga area.
May take you up on the visit to see what I may getting into...
Thanks,
Bo

Where in cenla are you? You should really come over and take a look at what I have here before you purchase something questionable like that. I'm over just south of Fort Polk.

HMMWV Nut

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Choose wisely my friend:whistle:
Bo

dilligaf13

$6K is an ok price (but nothing to write home about) for a solid running M35 W/W bobber in decent shape. This one has too many unknowns to be considered in decent shape or a good deal. Generally I would advise against beginning the FMTV hobby with a truck that is mechanically unsound, unless you're an extremely experienced mechanic or a gluten for punishment....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks