• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Continental Multi fuel head gasket HELP!!

AsyStole

Ok, first of all I would like to thank anyone for helping, and please excuse my inexperience. I am by no means a mechanic, I am merely try to help the mechanic at my fire station.

We operate a 1975 Mack/Kaiser 5 ton, with what I was told to be a continental multi fuel engine. The manual with it, says it is a M35A2.

We were in the process of changing the front head gasket. We ran into a problem when we came to the DRIVER side. Under the injectors, the head tapers in and allows no access to get on the 7/8" socket. We tried a crows foot, also did not work. Even with taking off the injectors, we would not be able to get on them (we tried on the back head where it was open to get a wrench on).

So, we came to the conclusion that there is a special tool for this. But, I cannot find anything on the net that names a tool, or even mentions the issue.

So please, PLEASE, anyone with a name of the tool or a suggestion on getting these bolts off, would be greatly appreciated.

Brush season is right around the corner and this vehicle is a key part of our fleet to fight the fires.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Saturn surplus has them. Many people say they break and make their own. Once you see a pic you should be able to make one too. I have no pic to share, sorry.

AsyStole

found it! we can probably make this! but how to toque it when we put the head back on... hmmm one step at a time I guess!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
We operate a 1975 Mack/Kaiser 5 ton, with what I was told to be a continental multi fuel engine. The manual with it, says it is a M35A2.
If it is an M35A2 it is not a 5 ton....it is a 2.5 ton (deuce and a half). If it has six lug nuts it is a deuce......ten means it is a 5 ton.

Sometimes you just have to lift up the tail and look.rofl

PropDr

If you use the factory tool or a good copy of it I don't think that any torque correction will be necessary because the drive and socket have zero offset. If you make one you will need to use the formula In the first pic. Also if the torque adapter is at 90° angle to the torque wrench no correction is necessary. Info in pic is from US DOT FAA advisory circular AC43.13-1b.

Attachments