• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Continuous Glow Plug Burn Up

ssgtcampbell77

Staff Sergeant
Looking for some help. Ive got an 85 M1008 and I keep having to replace the 3rd glow plug in on the driver side. I have replace it 3 time is in 3 months. The other seven are good to go but that one breaks off in a matter of 30 days or less. I have been through the 2nd and 3rd manuals and cruised tons of threads here but can't find anything that relates to an answer or suggestion. Thanks.

Westech

CPL
if you are blasting only one glow plug I will bet that the injector is bad and the spray pattern is messed and causing that cylinder to run hot or spraying right on the glow plug.

ssgtcampbell77

Staff Sergeant
I haven't been able to retrieve anything yet but by the time I get around to pull it, it looks like its been jacked up for awhile. The engine runs a little rough at start up but it knock horribly. More so than the other 28 Diesel trucks I have.

ssgtcampbell77

Staff Sergeant
So I pulled all 8 plugs today and the 3rd plug back on both sides are broken. Second time in 2 months this has happened. I ordered new injector nozzles from RockAuto, should be in next week. Don't know if this will solve the problem but I hope it will. Any suggestions?

flyboi__01

After thinking about it for a while here is only a few conclusions I could come up with. The easiest way to hink simply about what could influence the problem. Internal or external problems. Since the cyclinder is a sealed environment most likey it is a part that is involved in the combustion process

1. Bad glow plugs (although not likely), switch brands
2. # 3 cyclinders getting too hot and caused metal failure of the glowplugs, injector problem. replace the glow plug and get a thermal laser to investigate each cylinder temperature both at idle and under load. If you have a major shift you have a fuel delivery problem and it is heating up the cylinder and causing the glow plug to become brittle.
3. obstruction in the cylinder, such as thick carbon buildup on the piston. The tolerances are very small.

Start with these. After that I think you may have a more complex problem.

ssgtcampbell77

Staff Sergeant
Thanks for the advice Flyboi. I am running AC Delco 60s which everyone says are the best. Once the injector nozzles get in, I'll change out the plugs again and check the temp. Eventually, I know Im gonna have to rebuild this engine. Maybe this summer.