• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Control Box

brownstone

I've been having problems with the engine stalling on my M923. I replaced the batteries (all 4 of them) and have a new Wolverine Tech alternator, and they all seemed fine until rescently. The voltage at the batteries while running is 24.8v, but at the alternator it is 33+ volts (it varies). I can run it for quite sometime with out a problem, and it seems to have more of a problem spiking (I've had the needle pinned) until it has run for several minutes, then it goes back to where it should be. The problem is, if I have to stop for too long (traffic light, fuel up, etc) the voltage spikes, and it stalls... this last time was today, as I was leaving the truck stop... luckily I was not getting on to the highway when it stalled (no power stearing, not good). When this happens the meter shoes no volts... a few flips of the main switch and I get power back, but it won't start... until I disconected the plug from the control box... then I was able to start and continue on my way as if nothing happened... BUT I did notice that the box was quite warm, almost uncomfortable to touch. So my main questions are...

1) Should the control box be warm to hot? (I would think not, but that is NOT covered in the TMs)
2) Has anyone had experience/issues with the Wolverine Tech altenators?
3) Is there a over voltage protector that would be shutting the engine down (I see that there is a protector in the control box, but I'm not sure if this would cut power, or just limits the power)
4) Does wire 566 (pin F) really do anything? I've followed the wire diagram, and it looks like it does nothing, but then why is it there?

Hope someone can point me in a direction. And yes, I've gone over the TM's, but I might be missing something as I am not a diesel mechanic.

Brownstone

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would start with a control box....they are cheap. Well to me....

i had this issue in a hmmwv, the wire internally to the EESS box was burnt in half, pin F....I was putting out 28volts at the generator but only, 24v at the batteries....so the batteries were not getting charged....Also, 33volts output on your gen if the batteries were charging will over voltage the heck out them, should be about 27.5-28.5
change the EESS box, get the gen adjusted....is it a 60amp? They are adjustable.

brownstone

It's a Wolverine Tech one... so I do not know, it was given to me from the previous owner since the original was only putting out 20v. I'll be calling Wolverine about it today.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks