• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Control Box

92'M998

Hi - I received a new box (Prestolite) from Seco today. its a WSU-4009ut, 28 volts. Does this matter for a M998 24v system? New to all. this.

Thanks. J

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The alternator must put out over 24V to charge the batteries, so 28V is appropriate and normal.

papakb

I sure hope you didn't pay top dollar for that Prestolite control box. They're the oldest of the control boxes and you'll need to make sure that the sensor in the water crossover tube is compatible with it. I'm not sure which box your replacing but the control boxes and the sensors need to be matched in order for them to work properly.

The Prestolite boxes used a glow plug controller while later boxes used a temp sensor in the manifolds.

92'M998

I sure hope you didn't pay top dollar for that Prestolite control box. They're the oldest of the control boxes and you'll need to make sure that the sensor in the water crossover tube is compatible with it. I'm not sure which box your replacing but the control boxes and the sensors need to be matched in order for them to work properly.

The Prestolite boxes used a glow plug controller while later boxes used a temp sensor in the manifolds.
Hi - I'm replacing an SSIComtrol, Remore Switch M998.jpg one. I I have not done anything with the new one from Seco yet. Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks. J

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
WOOOoo This is going sideways REAL fast. DO NOT mix and match these controllers and sensors. That I do know.

Search Smart Boxes, PCB's, won't start using the search engine here and study up. Not sure where I saw it... a cross reference chart showing what works with what.

In the beginning they were more electro-mechanical. Later on sort of transistorized then smart with computer action. ( Trying to keep it simple here)

This is one of the most troubling and pricey HumV Excedrin headache 101. When bitten by this gremlin repairs can go deep into the pocket book, just to start the darn thing. Some have shot gunned repairs... but outcome and challenges maybe stretched. Proceed at your own comfort level.

BE real sure of you understanding this system. Follow proper con-dis connecting of battery.

Next headache... pay attention to glow plugs. Monitor voltage to them. Not so much the voltage BUT time ON. If you are seeing them energized longer that 25 seconds continuous... STOP what your doing. They will burn out... and that's another 100 bucks. Something to check before going live with a new PCB set-up.

CAMO TIP: Pull one of the glow plug leads. Build a simple 28 Volt test light and connect it up into the GP lead. Other end to ground. Be sure of all connections. Run your test keeping an eye on the light. More dope, https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/camo-can-you-can-too-tester.196462/
1599257927403.png

There are super experts here that understand the OEM boxes. Provide clear details to what you got, what it does, findings, need to ask info.

Good Luck, 🤞☘

Just another reason I don't have one, CAMO

Want ah watch a movie? >https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/glow-plug-the-movie.186536/

Last edited:

92'M998

WOOOoo This is going sideways REAL fast. DO NOT mix and match these controllers and sensors. That I do know.

Search Smart Boxes, PCB's, won't start using the search engine here and study up. Not sure where I saw it... a cross reference chart showing what works with what.

In the beginning they were more electro-mechanical. Later on sort of transistorized then smart with computer action. ( Trying to keep it simple here)

This is one of the most troubling and pricey HumV Excedrin headache 101. When bitten by this gremlin repairs can go deep into the pocket book, just to start the darn thing. Some have shot gunned repairs... but outcome and challenges maybe stretched. Proceed at your own comfort level.

BE real sure of you understanding this system. Follow proper con-dis connecting of battery.

Next headache... pay attention to glow plugs. Monitor voltage to them. Not so much the voltage BUT time ON. If you are seeing them energized longer that 25 seconds continuous... STOP what your doing. They will burn out... and that's another 100 bucks. Something to check before going live with a new PCB set-up.

CAMO TIP: Pull one of the glow plug leads. Build a simple 28 Volt test light and connect it up into the GP lead. Other end to ground. Be sure of all connections. Run your test keeping an eye on the light. More dope, https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/camo-can-you-can-too-tester.196462/
View attachment 811088

There are super experts here that understand the OEM boxes. Provide clear details to what you got, what it does, findings, need to ask info.

Good Luck, 🤞☘

Just another reason I don't have one, CAMO

Want ah watch a movie? >https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/glow-plug-the-movie.186536/
Yes, following advice each time I see a post. Thanks. J

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The PCB's and EESS's use specific glow plug temp sensors kinda' unique to each PCB/EESS. You need to confirm the PCB you have is going to work with the sensor you have, otherwise both require replacement.