• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Convert M116 (or similar) Flatbed to Cargo?

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a line on a flatbed generator trailer in good condition for $500. It has, or had, good tires brakes and wiring. Problem is I need a cargo trailer, like an M101. Is it worth the fuss of trying to make a cargo bed on top of the generator bed, or should I go with my gut and just wait for a better opportunity. I'm pretty sure the answer is "go with your gut".

But I welcome contradiction. (Or offers of a towable/restorable M101 in or around Northern Virginia for around $500. I'll be at the Graves mountain rally over labor day weekend.)

Bulldogger

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the feedback. I'll check with him when I get back in contact. Lost my cell phone, or I'd post a picture he sent me. Life is on hold while I get a replacement!
BDGR

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FOUND IT! My cell phone I mean. Fell out of my pocket when suiting up for my ride home, I guess, and another cycle rider at work saw it and picked it up. Honest men still exist, and they ride Ducati's apparently...

Here is the picture I have, not sure it's enough to ID.

BDGR
IMG_0277.jpg

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovery complete. Drove an hour from my house with my son in the HMMWV and we met with a friend's son who bought this 2011 A3 two years ago and never got around to converting it to ball hitch and 12V to tow behind his late model Jeep 4dr.

Cleaned up the pigtail, plugged her in and the lights all worked! Brakes appear OK. I can't tell if they are working, or simply not engaging and/or not binding. Until I need to tow a large amount of weight, brakes are not essential. I'll open and inspect brakes in the next month, preparing to use it to haul gear to Grave's Mtn Rally. The fill cap for the brake cylinder is crushed, I will need a new reservoir I guess. Haven't tried hard to open it yet, but it's pretty skooshed. I will check the wheel bearings too, and generally clean it all over. Per usual with my purchases of any vehicle, I will do all preventive maintenance on it prior to using it to haul a load.

The good news about the brakes for now is that after driving 40 miles I had no heating of drums or wheels anywhere, all cool to the touch. Got up to 50MPH on the drive home, watching it carefully in the mirrors and saw nothing notable in its behavior.

Does anybody know where I can find a TM? Didn't see anything in the TM pages here, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

It won't be hard to put some wood on it to give me a flatbed, and throwing together some modest stake sides shouldn't be an issue either.

Tires are worst part, only about 30% tread, but as little as I plan to use it I don't expect I'll need to replace them anytime soon. It's nice that they are the same 37x12.5's I have on my HMMWV, so in effect I'll be hauling two spare tires anytime I use the trailer.

Now just have to find a place to park it!

Bulldogger
IMG_0287.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks