• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Convert to 12 volt or use a power inverter?

Lonesome715

I am trying to lay out my next deuce build. I am going from the ground up to make this one suitable for just about everything we do. One problem I cannot seem to get past it whether or not I should convert it to 12 volt. Originally I was just going to use an inverter to power stuff like my stereo or trailer lights. However, the more I plan to more 12 volt accessories I plan to run. I want everything from AC to extra lighting. I know buying 24 volt lighting will add up after a while. So for a long term plan what would be the simplest, easiest to maintain, and most cost effective choice?

Irv

12v deuce

Get a converter box that takes in 24v and outputs 12v. They are available several places. I recommend Marlin P. Jones and Associates MPJA - Power Supply, Power Supplies, Security Cameras, LCD, Fans, Etc. If you 'cheat' a tap off of the lower of the two batteries, that will work fine for small or infrequent loads, but if you draw much current, it will cause a charge imbalance. The lower battery goes to a lower voltage as it's drained, and the upper battery receives a higher charging voltage. Not good. There are expensive charge balancers (not recommended, since they are quite expensive) that constantly shuttle a transport capacitor between the two batteries, thereby assuring even loading. It's done electrically, not physically. Irv

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Headwizard has inverters with a hefty load rating. I'd not be converting the truck to 12V.

Lonesome715

Thanks for the link.

I cannot say I am a fan of converting it either. But I would like to learn more before I decide against it.

Now the addition of an alternator also crossed my mind. But I was thinking it would add to the maintainence costs and work load. I am not sure if I am correct on that or not.I was hoping to simplify what I could where I could.

markmontana

Or put another alternator (12V) on the engine and a separate battery and run all the 12V stuff you want to.
This is the most efficient way to add 12v to the truck. Rather than a major change to 12v, or adding converters and voltage reducers (both of which add complexity and a nightmare to a future owner), this second 12v alternator is simple and doesn't detract from the stock system. IMO

area52

Figure one alternator, one extra belt, couple brackets and another pulley, few wires and an extra battery. Maybe $250 or so? guessing on the price.

steelandcanvas

In my opinion, The converter box is the easiest way to go. 24 VDC into the box, 12 VDC out of the box. It will handle all your small draw loads. If you have higher current loads, 30 Amps or more, than the alternator route would be the way to go. Do some price comps, after a certain amperege point the converters are very spendy, sometimes it's cheaper to install a seperate alternator and 12 VDC system.

Lonesome715

I was htinking about the alternator idea. I can see how it would be a good thing. I can run all the stuff I want on a totally seperate wiring harness. And it it fails for what ever reason I still have the stock 24V system to get me home. All the stuff I do not need will shut down but not what I do need.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I am considering a bob job on one of my deuces...the truck has major wiring issues (likes to catch on fire from time to time). I think this was due to having sat out in the hot GA sun for several years.....a lot of the wiring is cracked and brittle and there are prob several dead shorts in the harness.
Since I have a source for 12 volt starters that will fit the multi-fuel I am considering buying an aftermarket harness like those used in hot rods and going 12 volt. Painless and other manufacturing companies advertise in hot rod mags and seem to have good products.
If I do it I will post pics and details.

Parker2

My Duece is 12 volt and I am very happy with it. The 12 volt starter was easy. I just went to a local parts store and bought it off the shelf (not Autozone or a chain store). Operates off one battery and anything electrical I need can be found easily.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remember, 24volt loads draw less amps than 12volt ones. Just slap in a hummer dual voltage alt. Does 24 and 12, fits in the same spot. You can put 3 normal batteries in the battery box. Then you have a dedicated 12v system.

Hunter2506

OMG, you all are way overcomplicating this. You have two 12v batteries, not a single 24v. It's really simple. All i did was run a 4 AWG wire from the rear battery positive terminal to a fuse block mounted on the passenger kickpanel, and viola! 12v on tap. I run my BU light, heater fan and interior light on it. No other accessories at the moment, but I still have 3 fuse slots left.

Much cheaper, much easier than any conversion or addition of an inverter.

Last edited:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hunt, the issue with that, is if you draw enough power off just one batt, there will be an inbalance. One battery might charge to 15 or 16 volts and the other to only 10. I have personally had it happen in my 818, I left the intake heater on, which is 12. I relized after half a day of driving. One battery was at 18volt and the other at 6. Had to take them out and discharge the high one and slowly charge up the low one.

This is the issue with taping just one battery. It works fine for light loads, but draw some heavy stuff and it can damage the batteries. This is why he is concidering his options.

Hunter2506

Yeah, I considered that. But it would take a pretty substantial draw to create that problem, alot more than a radio and a couple accessory lights. Even 55w 12 volt lights, a pair will only draw 6-8 amps. I can see it with the intake heater, though.

Since I think most of us are only requiring 12v for the little accessory stuff, it seems a good, cost effective solution to me.

Last edited:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh very true, I used to use it for the small stuff too. But I think he is talking some serious draw, with all the radio, lights, and A/C unit.