• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

convert to dual electric fans?

kapnklug

There's been alot of discussion about why to convert to electric fans. My reasons for considering the swap are:
1. I'm replacing the radiator anyway, so the opportunity for improvement is there.
2. Was hoping to free up some horsepower
3. With my gasser mud racing truck, I've had the fan blades sucked into the radiator during a deep water crossing. Both parts lost that fight.
4. the fans could be turned on after warmup, or one at a time, to warm up quicker (I'm in upstate NY)
5. I could put on a body lift
6. Electric fans will blow a fuse if something blocks them. The stock fan will remove the "something" like a food processor
7. Make it easier to remove belts and allow more room to work on the front of the engine due to removal of the stock radiator shroud.

The only things stopping me are:
1. Fabricating a shroud to bridge from the fans to the edges of the radiator is do-able but looks like a fair amount of work.
2. I'm not sure if I can get the fans close enough to the radiator core (with the oil cooler lines running between fans and core) to draw as much air as the stock (larger diameter) fan. I'm NOT going to "just cut them oil cooler lines and install an external oil cooler," as someone suggested.

Marty G

Have you thought about mounting the fans on the other side of the radiator.

most electric fans can be set up push or pull i had a Blazer i ran this way worked well.

jdeoliveira74

why dont you just get one 17 and bolt it to the factory shroud. I have measured one up it looks like it will fit right in. You wont have to move oil cooler lines. I too have tossed the idea around especially with the cold since it takes so long for the truck to warm up I figured it would help a bit.

I have run my truck with out a fan in 30 degree weather and it didnt run over 170 so i think electric would benifit some.

SGT Estum

(throws on lab coat)

You're right, air is also a gas (under standard temperature and pressure).

Wikipedia puts it well:

"...a fluid is a substance that continually deforms (flows) under an applied shear stress. Fluids are a subset of the phases of matter and include liquids, gases, plasmas and, to some extent, plastic solids."

I was mostly just being a wise guy 2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks