• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting 24v HWR to 12v

tmuenster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am writing to request advice on the conversion for the military 24v HWR (Heater, Water and Ration) unit to 12v system. The spec on the heater calls for 22-28 V dc 15A Maximum (14A nominal). My voltage converter puts out 24v 20A max from the 12v source. From what I recall in my electronics training, this should work but I wanted to check with the experts here at SteelSoldiers.com. Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Attachments

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As long as you stay within the specifications of your converter, you will be OK.

Total consumption in Wattage will go up a bit, as the converter 'charges a tax' for it's ability. I mentioned that so you won't run your battery down prematurely.

tmuenster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many thanks, G744! I just completed my OpTest of the HWR using a couple of 12v batteries I had in my garage. It seems to work pretty well. I was getting around 120F on the low setting and about 160F on the high setting. The voltage of the batteries dropped to around 20v as they are old batteries and not charged. The HWR should reach it’s rated temp of 190F once I have it connected to a running vehicle.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks