• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting a deuce to 4 wheel drive without bobbing it?

Lonesome715

I am just wondering if anyone here has converted a deuce to four wheel drive without making it shorter. If you have what kind of differences has it made? I am under the mindset that I want a deuce because I want a six wheel drive truck. But I have caught myself wondering how a deuce would do with its’ original length but minus one drive axle. I can see all kinds of cost and maintenance benefits, but what about performance. I know I noticed some big differences when I removed my rear drive shaft so driving around town would be easier. What kind of differences would it make if I removed that whole rear axle and slide the forward rear axle back a little bit?

MCHoward

i went a different route. after talking with jatonka (i had the idea but not the how), i installled locking hubs on the front axel, and used the front hub covers inplace of the front rear drive axel shafts. on my singled out deuce (1100r20's) it makes all the difference in the world on the freeway and around town.

Lonesome715

That is funny. I was thinking about doing that very same thing. Then when I was planning a trip to the woods I would slide the rear axle shafts back in.

MCHoward

when you put the axels back, jack up one side. put that axel in first. that way you can aline the splines in the spiders. without dropping the first side go around and put in the other shaft. (its ezer with a friend) spin the frist side and the axel will line up on the second side. it only takes me about 10 mins

MCHoward

i thought about going 4x4 duelly style with full bed because i use the hole bed for hauling but i like the 6x6 to much for heavy offroading so the next best thing was fix what i didnt like on street and get rid of the parasitic power loss and pour handling

lavarok

There is a guy in south Florida that has done the conversion you speak of. Removed one axle and left it stock length. A friend of mine knows the guy well and is planning to do the same with his truck. I'll try and get some photos.

Jakob

I edited a picture in MSpaint to get a visual of what a truck would look like when done this way. It didn't look too bad, but I can't find the picture right now.

WPNS421

We have done the change, removed the front axle and advanced the rear by about 12 inches. We had to lengthen the drive shaft. We found and used a driveshaft from a M36 that has the extra length. The frame remained the full length and we put the original platform back on. The weight difference was about 1700lbs less. The truck turns much better, better acceleration and the licencing costs dropped by 1/2. We also have the full length and platform capacity. Check the maximum load capacity of a single axle and a double, in our area you can still carry ovver 5 tons on a single axle.

Attachments

Lonesome715

I was thinking lifting the truck would be a whole lot easier. But I am more concerned withtowing and hauling ability. How will the truck two and run in general with 53's?

beaubeau

Lonsome 715, If you convert to a Single axel, why not look into a 2 SP. axel from a commercial trk, {like one from a 70s or80s vintage}? With some research you can find one with Lo gear same ratio as Deuce, and HI gear hier ratio for Hiway use. All depends on what you do with the trk, as far as driving. How many miles do you drive per year??? ETC.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks