• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting air to hydro

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Just got my air assist from PCtrans(thanks again Pete!). Been wondering if I were to swap out the seals in it, could I convert it to hydro steering? I would imagine I could use one of my LDS pumps to power it, but I bet I would need to use a different assist cyl. I know there are hydro systems out there that work on the exact same principle, the gears are turning.

gimpyrobb

Currently, I only have one in use and one spare if it craps out. If I find more, I will let you know.

phil2968

As big as the air cylinder is if it was hydro it would have a incredible amount of strength. Enough that if the wheels were buried in a deep rut and were turned things could be bent or broken. So you would be correct in the different cylinder.
Remember the old Ford assit on the F250 of the mid to early 70's. Why not use that kind of valve with a proper hydro cylinder. Check out this link for cheap cylinders.
Surplus Center - Hydraulic Cylinders Pumps Motors

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm unsure if the part that goes on the drag link could be converted to hyd. My gut feeling says no but I could be wrong. Most air operated valves are nothing like hyd valves and they exhaust to the outside ( that would cause a big hyd leak).

Replacing the cylinder with a hyd cylinder should be easy enough.

gimpyrobb

I will be installing the air kit as intended, I was just wondering the possibility. I know the is many people here smarter than I, so I decided to see what everyone said. If the air kit isn't up to par, I will dig deeper.

tm america

The air assist will still be a big improvement over the armstrong steer you currently have.;)If you're not happy with it try looking for similar hydro setups on old combines or tractors

Westech

CPL
I dont think you can make the air-o-sist fluid. It dumps the air from the cylinder when the cylinder needs to power the other way. Its a two way cylinder. Just leave it as is you be ok.. or if you REALLY dont want it I will take it off your hands for what you paid for it.

3dAngus

Just out of curiosity, what happens if you lose air from catastrophic failure.
1. Revert to manual steering
2. Excessive play results in minimal or loss of control
3. You crash in a big tree
or. zero impact?

I'm not familiar with air assist steering, but it sounds kinda cool. Also, could the power steering off a A3 be adapted to an A2.

Lots of questions, few answers. Am I dumb? Ans: Yes, but learning.aua

3dAngus

Thanks. Didn't know the A3 was air.
Brings up a follow up question, if you don't mind.
Is there still a power steering pump, with power steering fluid? (A3)

3dAngus

Read it slow. Makes perfectly good sense to the ignorant, which I am, thus the question.
The M-105 has air over hydraulic brakes. So, the question is, with air assist steering, does the air assist a power steering pump which has fluid drive to the steering, or is it air alone.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks