• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

converting an M54A2 chassis to a tractor

steelcaptain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
other than finding a fifth wheel hitch and running airbrakes and power to the trailer, is there anything else to do to use a standard 206"wb chassis as a tractor? I might have a line on a 30ton lowboy trailer near where I live which I think my M54 might pair up to very nicely.

Last edited:

steelcaptain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ok, got it. I guess the entire brake distribution block is completely different to run trailer brakes and would have to be replaced? I'll look in the TM manuals to see what I find.

My biggest question though really is the mounting of the fifth wheel hitch assembly on an M52 tractor vs. the frame set up on an M54. How different are the crossmembers on a tractor vs. a standard body? I know the M52 has a shorter frame and wheelbase but expect the gusseted cross member is between the axles just like on the M54 frame. That is where is expect one wants to locate a hitch?

9106772971_17a0ec1b68_n.jpg9109004910_0d93769018_n.jpg9109008010_bcb07a4a62_n.jpg

this is what I have now

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct. The 5th wheel should be slightly in front of the centerline of the tandem bogie. You will have to lop off some frame in the back to clear the trailers and don't expect much towing power with the multifuel.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And with a modern trailer, you will be very short on air supply.

quickfarms

If you are going to haul a civilian trailer I would install a civilian outboard mounted sliding fifth wheel. The military fifth wheel is riveted to the top of the frame and that is frowned upon now.

The frame rails may need to be shortened.

The tractors use a different rear crossmember that has a different pintle hook and cut out for king pin clearance.

steelcaptain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
sound like it would be better for me to just get a tractor all ready to go. There was an M52 in Eastern Washington on eBay recently for a good price but he wasn't interested in a trade so I would have to sell mine first. Besides, I don't know much about this lowbow trailer other than it is parked in a field close to where I live and I was intending to inquire into its possible availability. I do know it is a 3 axle gooseneck and looks like it would be at least rated for 30tons.

New guy asking but what is the rating for an M52 as far as trailer loads go and do they have bigger compressors for the trailer brakes?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to go up to an 809 series truck with a Cummins for enough air(technically).

steelcaptain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am definitely going to shelve any ideas of turning my M54 into a tractor. Sounds like the work to do it would be much more that I would want to do with not the results one would want. Just need to find me a bed for mine (hint...hint)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks