• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting back to 24 volt question

chesapeake

I have been looking for a M1028 and keep finding M1008 trucks that were I guess changed over to 12 volts by the fire departments that used them. They are usually in good shape at a fair price. My question is, is it possible (im sure it is) and economical to convert it back to 24v? Is it just changinf out the starter?

Thanks

Ted

I tried searching, but all I found was 24 to 12 conversion

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Depends on how they "converted" it. If they simply moved the terminal over and replaced the starter and removed the alternator (passenger side). Then it should be a matter of simply replacing parts. If they went to hacking away at it with wire cutters, you'll be in for a lot more fun...

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
But everyone wants to convert AWAY from that silly 24v system. It is totally useless. :wink:

chesapeake

Thank you. I will send the one I am in contact with an email and ask how it was switched over.

After being on here for the past month, the 24 volt system seems easy.

Was the reason the military wanted 24v so they could run their equipment and tools?

Patracy, we are just down the road from each other. You don't happen to know anyone wanting to sell their M1028 by chance?

Thanks again. I am truly in the learning stages of these trucks. I have spent most of my life running boats

MarcusOReallyus

Was the reason the military wanted 24v so they could run their equipment and tools?

The military wanted 24v so that they could slave to and from the vehicle from other military vehicles, which are all 24v. That's all.

If you don't need to do that, you don't have a functional reason to convert back to 24v.

On the other hand, if your interest in the truck is historic, and you want the truck to be original, you have a great reason for converting back.

For myself, I don't think there's enough functional difference between the two to justify the time and expense to convert it (either way). They work fine on the original 24v system, and there are even a few civi 12v trucks out there that run fine on the 12v. Arguing that one is superior to another is just silly - both approaches have been doing their intended job quite well for many thousands of trucks over many years.

dstang97

All depends on what they cut for wires. My m1008 was done by a somewhat knowledgable hack and did not do too much damage. The 2 other trucks I got we're very bad and needed full harnesses. I can't fathom why anyone would convert to 12v. Hopefully they kept all of the spare oem parts so It will not be a problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks