• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

converting m1009 to 12V

tjmilitary

I would like to convert my 1009 to 12V but not sure how to go about it. Has anyone done this and can give me some pointers? Any help would be great.

mangus580

They are fairly reasonable to convert, but you can probably get the starter rebuilt for a decent price at a starter shop.

There is an article stating how to convert them someplace on the net.

Rebelpride

My 2 cents worth is to leave it a 24V system. I converted my M1009 to 12V and have found that the 24V starter turns the engine faster for a quicker start than the 12V starter.

ssgtwright-usmc

Their is a website if you do a google search (24volts to 12 volts conversion). Even has pics to make it easy.
Might have to add CUCV in the search also.

1956_4x4

I was planning on leaving mine 24 volt until my starter went bad. I changed it over to 12 volt with a gear reduction type starter. It turns over much faster than my 24 volt starter did. I understand the mentality of keeping the trucks original, but I have no real need for a 24 volt system and the double amperage for the 12 volt jump start capability really helps.

The "Rosco" link above was what I used to do my conversion. It was an easy conversion too.

Smitty

AJMBLAZER

Re: RE: converting m1009 to 12V

I'll bite, what's white alice?

Rebelpride said:
My 2 cents worth is to leave it a 24V system. I converted my M1009 to 12V and have found that the 24V starter turns the engine faster for a quicker start than the 12V starter.
Sounds like you didn't use the gear reduction starter from the 6.5L's.

CCATLETT1984

RE: Re: RE: converting m1009 to 12V

My position on this is to leave it stock if you ever plan on getting another miltary truck (so you can slave start if needed) and also so we can help you with wiring issues. If you convert it your basically on your own for the starter/charging wiring.

1956_4x4

uscgmatt said:
White Alice was the communication system used in Alaska during the cold war. There were a couple different types of antennas. The one in the photo is a 60 foot tall parabolic reflector. Here is a link to the technical stuff and more pics(some even have mv's), http://www.geocities.com/~billev/wacs/main.html

Matt
We had some of these on site when I was stationed at Hofn Iceland.

As far as the conversion from 24 volt to 12 volt, the charging systems on both are pretty simple. You remove a couple of components, reroute a couple of wires and change the starter. I don't see any reason to change it if there's nothing wrong with the current system. However, if the starter is bad and you aren't usually around other military vehicles (where you might use the 24 volt system for a jump start...) I would recommend the swap. You end up with double the 12 volt battery amperage and one less alternator to go bad down the road.

I've had mine converted for a few years without any problems.

Smitty

Westech

CPL
*****KEEP THE 24V and use a 12V starter******

Ok dudes. I installed a 12V starter in my 09 and never had a problem! All you have to do is move the main starter wire to the first battery. Trace the wire up from the starter and it should hook up on the fire wall on the junction block. Unbolt it and move it to the positive of the first battery. you can leave the relay wire where it is, the solenoid will handle the 24v no problem. That is a low amp draw.

JohnFire

RE: *****KEEP THE 24V and use a 12V starter******

Converted a couple years back due to going through a few 24v starters. I am very happy with the conversion though I didn't know to get the 6.5 gear reduction starter so mine does crank a little slower. Though I also changed to group 31's and kept the old batterys in the back wired into the rear block for those really cold mornings when I can't have it plugged into a block heater. Nothing like having 3500 CCA :jumpin: