• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting M35A2 non turbo into Turbo?

KBarrell

I have a low mileage non turbo deuce and was wondering what all is needed to convert it to a turbo truck? I have found a turbo with all of the parts needed to mount it including the exhaust.:beer::beer:

Westech

CPL
Yes you can put a turbo on a NA truck. The military converted most of the N/A's to turbo to clean up the exhaust smoke. All you have to do is bolt on the parts and you really should re-time the engine to the turbo setting but I think a couple members left the timing alone and not a problem, might even give you a couple extra HP

hdmax

Yes it is possible, but you will need to find a used or new exhaust with bolts and hangers, C or D turbo as well as clamps and whatnot to convert it over. You are looking at $500-$1,000 for everything plus labor if you plan on having it done for you.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The LD engine timing was more retarded than the LDT timing correct? When the turbo is put on, dosnt it require advancing the timing? How much of a difference does it make? i know my timing is not exactly at the LDT/LDS timing mark on the crank, its a couple degrees toward the LD mark. My engine was converted to a LDT by uncle sam by the way. i dont know how much the couple extra degrees would make a difference in power. Attached is the picture when the pointer on the injection pump is right on the money and looking at the crankshaft mark... i tried taking the picture straight on and avoiding paralax error.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've done 2 personally without a timing change and had positive results with both. I'm about to scrap/sell/part out a canned engine so I'll have everything needed but an exhaust kit. They are also called clean air kits and sell for around $250.

dmetalmiki

I put a c turbo on my m45 no probs . straight fix. goes much better sound impressive.

its getting a prelube pump at the weekend too.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyxIJUq7rww[/media]

10thMtn_trucker

thanks for all the info, like i said i was a driver not a mechanic lol i did some work on the trucks but that was usually i would go into the motor pool and ask if there was anything i could do and was just told yeah" see those bolts loosen them" but im all for hands on learning just need to stop and ask for guidance now and then thank god for this site:driver:

10thMtn_trucker

here are some pics of the truck i just picked up its a 1968 keiser bought by a bar before going out of business im going to restore it back to military paint i had to do some minor maintenance. the over head console i made from an old pick up hood i found cut in half i hope to have it painted in the next month or so oh yeah when i bought this there is 6 yellow neon lights put all around under this truck, those will be removed very soon! :driver:

Attachments

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great questions and great way of introducing yourself.

My only addition to the idea would be to install a pyrometer (even temporarily) into the exhaust to measure your exhaust temps both before and after the install. The idea being to measure fuel quantity through measured heat, thus assuring your work will do no harm.

Best wishes on your project.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dont think im over fueling my truck, it seems slow enough where i think im OK. a Pyro would be nice, but i dont have one yet. I think i have injector issues becsue when i run it down the highway, i get a random puff of smoke out the stack. My dads friend who went to diesel school said it may be a sticky injector. 5000 miles and it still does it. i guess some problems dont cure themselves. I want to take them out and pop test them also. probably would be easier to replace the injectors with another used one, agreed?

RumRunner742

here are some pics of the truck i just picked up its a 1968 keiser bought by a bar before going out of business im going to restore it back to military paint i had to do some minor maintenance. the over head console i made from an old pick up hood i found cut in half i hope to have it painted in the next month or so oh yeah when i bought this there is 6 yellow neon lights put all around under this truck, those will be removed very soon! :driver:

Did you move to Amarillo? That truck looks REALLY familure