• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting M818 to M813

Lorax

What the truck looks like as of today. Everything has been removed from the frame to allow for sanding and welding. Being able to stand up when sanding the axles and inside of the frame will be nice.

A question about the trailer plugs. It looks like there is a retainer ring that is screwed onto the back of the plugs (both at the rear and at the midship trailer connection). Has anyone removed their trailer plugs before? It looks like the retainer ring (looks like a cup) is unscrewed from the plug, then the plug can be removed. Does that sound right? Thats how it looks.

The back end picture shows the difference between the 800 series pintle cross member and the 900 series pintle cross member. The 800 series narrows down where the 900 series stays level.

Discovered that there is a double frame under where the 5th wheel is suppose to be too.

Attachments

Lorax

And the project as of today. Things left to do:
1. Clean and paint the bed to match.
2. Scrape the bed pins so the side drop easier.
3. Modify some of the lights.
4. Some newer tires

So far this project hasn't been too bad. Just takes some time and patience. I've already spent more on this truck than buying a normal 813 from GL would cost, from looking at more recent auctions. Oh well. Adding a winch, 5 ton dropside, and everything that goes with those, like new fasteners and certainly time. When buying this 818, the promise was made that no more trucks would be bought, due to the stress of bringing them home (will something break along the way, cost of transporting, etc). The original plan was to put a deuce dropside on her, but Winslow had a couple beautiful 5 ton dropsides available, plus that frame extension, which was really just something he cut off another of his truck projects. Even with the frame extension, the frame is still about 1 foot too short to look right, plus the rear axles should be 1 foot further back to equal what an 813 has.

Oh well, I'm happy and satisfied with how the 'ol girl is shaping up. She runs great, sounds even better, and can be used now with the bed installed. Should an 813 been bought originally? Yes. But this 818 had new brake components. Plus, this is certainly a learning experience, and a good hands on adventure.

Everything is an adventure with MVs. More updates to come when the weather agrees.

Attachments

rockman

Lorax, nice work and documentary. I am anxious as I am sure you are to see the bed on the beast. How are you going to attach it to the frame?

Bill

Lorax

Well, the bed is on the truck now. As for bolting it down, the 818s have an angle bracket that runs about 6 feet on the outside of the frame rails, and is centered on the frame. The 5th wheel bolts to these angle brackets. You can see the angle brackets in the welding pictures above, where stuff is painted with primer. The 5 ton bed has 3 mounting brackets on each side. As it turns out, the middle bed mounting brackets line up with the hole already in the 5th wheel angle brackets.

The bed front brackets will require drilling or welding brackets on each side of the truck frame. The bed back brackets have nothing to attach to, unfortunately.
Everything else lines up great. The front of the bed frames even fit between the brackets that used to hold up the 818 spare tire and tool box contraption.

Last edited:

zb39

Nice and different............I LIKE IT!:-D You also know all about it. no problems in future.

Lorax

Sorry JW. With the second fuel tank taking the place of the regular passenger side tool box, storage room is limited. The plan is to mount the old tool bos somewhere.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the 12" shorter wheelbase on the M818 (167" v 179" for the 813) and the 12" shorter bed of the 14' 813 v the 15' bed on the Marine 813s, it looks like your truck has about the same rear overhang as mine. Very practical size and still aesthetically pleasing. And you can get a one-piece tarp that fits!
Nice truck, thanks for sharing the build.

I added the attached pic to show the truck overhang and also because it is cool. I found it on the internet whilst looking at airshow pics, said "Hey, I know that truck!". We were doing a Vietnam re-enactment at the Temple airshow last year (I know, it's not period correct, but you use what you have) with support from a Huey, A-1 Skyraider, A-26, AC-47, Mohawk and several others. Barrman had his M715 and Sermis had his deuce there too. Lot of fun and very popular with the crowd.

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck is going to look great Lorax. This is my first post but have been lurking awhile. I was pleased to see your project as I had been thinking this is what I would have to do to get an M813 here in the PNW. There are lots of M35s and M818s but very few M813s available. I haven't seen any for sale.

If anyone has an M813 or M818 for sale within a couple of hundred miles of Portland I am in the market. I will put up a WTB ad too.

Thanks!

Beerslayer