• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

converting to ABS traction control

papaydsailor

has any one here tried to convert their M998 to anti lock brake system. i recently notice that my brake lock and i skid when i brake at only 35 mph at this wet weather we been having in CA. also on going down the winding road my back whips like a fish tail at every turn.

Ryanhooker

As for the 998 having ABS, i dont think there is a kit. It can be done, If you want to spend time and money. Here is a brief list of things you will need.

ABS Module
ABS Pump
Wheel Speed Sensors
The Hard Ware to hook it up.
New Brake line to and from pump.

I am not sure on the H1 where the speed sensors are. But I would guess at the diff, right behind the flange for brake rotor. Most use a reluctor ring set up to trigger the the speed sensors. Id say you would need the out put shaft from diff to rotor. Also, you would have to wire the module up to 12v. Then You would need to get the H1 brake lines. Depending on year of the module, it could be just ABS or ABS and Trac. For what you want, get the Early ABS. Trac takes fun out of driven a car or truck. An the trac has tons of wiring. Most ABS Systems Have about 15 wires to hook up.

Hope this Helps

dilvoy

I think adding in ABS would be a pain. Why not just put in an adjustible brake proportioning valve in the line going to the rear brakes? You can get them fairly cheaply now and is way easier to do than adding ABS.

Ryanhooker

I think adding in ABS would be a pain. Why not just put in an adjustible brake proportioning valve in the line going to the rear brakes? You can get them fairly cheaply now and is way easier to do than adding ABS.
Thats not to bad an idea. It is simple fix, but its a bandaid to a daily driver. The problem is still there. If its a weekend truck or just driven once and a while I consider it. On the other hand its a daily driver, ABS would be a fix and be much needed help. The abs system can control wheel lock up and can help when your stoping in the rain. If your in the rain and the right rear locks up, the pump will dump the presure and let it regain traction and reaplly presure. This would also be true on the front too. No more sliden. The only time it does not work as well is on dirt. This is due to low traction but if your moven this quick you are just plaing or being chased. The brake valve would slow the lock up of the rear. not stop it from happening. It would not help to front at all. I have seen some of the stopping of a 998. There is a video on you tube of a m1025 tring to stop and make a turn. it hits a little bump and becomes somewhat airborn.

PeterD

First, having one with ABS/TT4 and one without, I'd say that ABS likely won't fix your problem. THere are more issues with this than just adding the ABS stuff, the differentials are different (the lockup preload biasing is different). In reality many H1 owners with the ABS trucks want to get it disabled! You'd need new half-shafts with tone rings, too. Figure total cost will be in the ball-park of about $5000, perhaps more.

It really sounds to me that you may have a problem with either the proportioning valve, or the front calipers/pads. Perhaps a full brake job at both ends (so the pads match), new rotors (they are really cheap now) may help. Also, the H1 proportioning is somewhat different from most vehicles, be careful not to install the wrong proportioning valve and find that your braking performance is compromised.

jwaller

I believe the H1's have their tone rings on the end of the cv shaft nearest to the drop hibs. same type setup used on all IFS chevy's.

PeterD

Yes, that is where they are... Only 1999 and later H1's have the tone rings however. There has been discussion about whether they could be added to earlier half-shafts or not, but the result was "not easily"... :p But I'm sure someone who wanted badly enough, could figure a way.

david1092

I'd say forget the ABS, just get some decent tires. If your avatar is accurate, your swampers are 99% of the problem, thy are terrible tires. Go with Toyos on 17" rims. (BFG or MT/R's) the difference is like a driving a new truck

I had swampers on my 92 hummer, they where very very VERY bad.

Last edited:

papaydsailor

As for the 998 having ABS, i dont think there is a kit. It can be done, If you want to spend time and money. Here is a brief list of things you will need.

ABS Module
ABS Pump
Wheel Speed Sensors
The Hard Ware to hook it up.
New Brake line to and from pump.

I am not sure on the H1 where the speed sensors are. But I would guess at the diff, right behind the flange for brake rotor. Most use a reluctor ring set up to trigger the the speed sensors. Id say you would need the out put shaft from diff to rotor. Also, you would have to wire the module up to 12v. Then You would need to get the H1 brake lines. Depending on year of the module, it could be just ABS or ABS and Trac. For what you want, get the Early ABS. Trac takes fun out of driven a car or truck. An the trac has tons of wiring. Most ABS Systems Have about 15 wires to hook up.

Hope this Helps

look like too hard, expensive and complicated to do. but thanks for the info.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks