• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting to dual alternators

Status
Not open for further replies.

rat4spd

JasonS, come on man. You are attempting to (re) introduce intelligence to this thread. I think that went away about 50 posts ago. It may have something to do with Harry Potter and trains. The unofficial goal is to get to 200 posts (before I re-define the goal) before we ge the post locked.

As a token of good faith, should speak in electrical. You must incorporate common electrical terms in your sentence that look like they make sense and should otherwise be there.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dug: the double post gremlin got me also.
I call BS on that. It's a WEAK attempt to pump up the post count. It adds no value to this otherwise outstanding thread.

Please note I edited post #1.

hole

Dug, I couldnt read through all these posts for the answer. Does this mean you have a cigar lighter do-maflitchy in your truck so I can charge my phone at Dirtbag?:D

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dug, I couldnt read through all these posts for the answer. Does this mean you have a cigar lighter do-maflitchy in your truck so I can charge my phone at Dirtbag?:D
We can charge it until it glows brother! Of course you still gotta drive ten minutes to use it.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have they outlawed butane in Cali?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to make it out there one of these days. Never been in a desert before. Sounds like a great big beach party, without the water.

The Dirtbag pics remind me of "The Forbidden Zone" in Planet of the Apes.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like to think DIRTBAG is a lot like what a Blackwater Inc party after hours in Iraq must be like.

plym49

As a token of good faith, should speak in electrical. You must incorporate common electrical terms in your sentence that look like they make sense and should otherwise be there.
Don't forget that you need a box of dirt in the bed for ground.

tm america

as far as drag on the engine.The draw of the 12 alt will be very low Alts are controlled by a voltage regulater and only turn on when the voltage goes below it's turn on voltage..they do not charge all the time..yes there is a small amount of power needed to turn the stator of the alt when it is not making power but the combined wieght of the two new alts is pretty close to the same as the stock 24 alt..the way an automotive electrical system works is a drain -charge power pulls from the battery till it takes the voltage down to the point where the alt turns on and charges the battery..You have to remember these are one wire alts and they do not have a field side like regular alt to power the ignition side of things..As for pulley size the one that comes on there runs things at pretty much the same speed as it would on the vehicles the alts were originally designed for ...I would stay away from larger (racing) pulleys they might not let the alt spin fast enough to keep up with the discharge...For a few years larger pulleys were the hot thing on race cars,,slow down the alt save power right?but most guys found that the alt needs to turn at 3000 rpm just to turn on..no power no ignition when guys started having ignition problems from them the days of big pulleys were done.I haven.t seen anyone running them in years..And that is even on a race motor that idles at 1200 and revs to 7500..on a deuce idling at 700 and reving to a whopping 2600..It is not gonna let the alt turn on .IF you are really worried about the alt draggin power from the engine wire in a switch to turn it off..But remember these are turbo deisel motors more load means more heat motor heat means more boost more boost means more power ...Don't be affraid of letting the engine do what it was made to do ..

tm america

I think it turned into an advanced electrics discussion involving trains and Harry Potter about the time that DH's street cred was challenged and Rat4Spd realized the post count could top 100+.

As the OP I am simply here to inform everyone who cares that TM America's kit kicks ass and will work exactly how I want it to for a price that I am happy with. It was installed by a 14 year old Soldier B. Not too tricky.

The fact that serveral alternators hooked to one battery could, might, should, may or may not work does not concern me. It does amuse me that a former sailor who used to monitor the chemistry of a nuke power plant underwater before going back to school for some advanced degree that bores me to tears and joining the Army NG (Navy kicked Army's ass BTW) to do more advanced boring chit got Harry Potter to drive a train.

Seriously though, the thread offical Jumped The Shark when Military Steel trolled on in.
exactly we even went as far as to move the debate of what might - might not work to a different threat in the electrical forum..either way you choose to wire your batteries is up to you i make the alt mounting brackets and give you the part number for what alts fits the brackets and the part number of the belt needed....what you choose to do from there is up to you and limited by your imagination...My brackets come fully assembled with all the hardware needed for a price that kills anything else out there ..if you want to add an extra alt to your deuce i got you covered..be it to charge a separate 12 volt battery ,power a city ,bring back harry potter or help you drive trains ..i make it easy enough to add the alt or update your (current) 24 volt alt..

tm america

I am gonna use my 12 volt alt to power up a super sized zombie taser...i might even go to a 100 amp alt have have a kill mode ..and then just incase i get hungry to i was thinkis a 200 amp kill and cook mode?can anyone say zombie soup?

59apache

Chipmaker
with 200 amp you can have a nice roadkill toaster.....:beer: crisp rabbit in 2 minutes?

makes the difference between drive-in and drive over....

Last edited:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I should have just went with a PTO driven gen set and be done with it. No additional batteries. No Harry Potter, no trains, just chitloads of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.