• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting to dual alternators

Status
Not open for further replies.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm taking the plunge and installing dual alternators on my deuce. I have ordered brackets from George (aka TM America) and I just ordered the 24 volt alternator from Pat's Small Engine Parts. I'm going with a one wire set up designed for a Cummins Engine -

CUMMINS ALTERNATORS AND GENERATORS

I already have a 12 volt one wire alternator here that was last used on my 67 Chevelle.

I'll take pics during the install and note any troubles I run into. George has been very easy to work with and very helpful with suggesting different setups. You can go as cheap or as powerful as you like. Both the alts I'll be using are 65 amps. I don't have a real need for 12 volts, but I would like to run a small electric winch to help load quads. And once I have it, I'm sure I'll find plenty of uses for it.

EDIT - If you're looking for information on adding a 12 volt alternator to your deuce this thread has you covered. Until page 5. After that, it's all crap.

Last edited:

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We did the duel Alts from Wolverine Tech, I did mod their set up some, sent them photos and a description of what I did. Seems like they really liked it [thumbzup] They made noises about changing their kit.

I KNOW
nopics
But I am on the other coast from the "She Beast", I'll look around and see if I have any pics w/ me

Last edited:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got the brackets from George aka TM America yesterday. Haven't been able to check them out since I hurt my back again. As soon as the meds wear off and some of the pain goes away I'll give them a proper review.

We did the duel Alts from Wolverine Tech, I did mod their set up some, sent them photos and a description of what I did. Seems like they really liked it [thumbzup] They made noises about changing their kit.

I KNOW
nopics
But I am on the other coast from the "little Draggin' ", I'll look around and see if I have any pics w/ me

Did you do a write up?

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just got the alternators and belts in the mail today. I picked up a new Interstate battery on Monday (which is how I hurt my back again) so I offically have everything I need - except for a pain free back. I hope to get started soon.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dug, take your time and wait until your feeling better. It just isn't worth it, to push healing of back pain/problems. Please take it easy and wait. good luck

Besides, we have seen your project pictures before, we all know your boy will be doing all the work.

whyme

i like the price of that kit, might do it with two batteries in parallel so i have a spare set if the primaries go down and 12volts too.

tm america

I made my kit different than the others out there for several reasons....First i didn't like the idea of having to switch both alts just to add 12 volts.So my kits can be used individually or together... Second i didn't like the idea of having to pay the extra shipping for alts that can be purchased locally or bought online so the warrenty is with the person buying them...Rather than them having to send it to me and then me send it to the manufacturer...Third price...alot of guys are trying to save money because they might not be able to bite off 400+ for other kits out there...My kits offer you the ability to do it as your budget and needs allow...Forth i didn't like the idea of having to reindex a brand new alt and possible woid the warrenty .....With the way i designed my kits they make it easy for anyone to install i ship them all bolted together how they go on the truck all you have to do is bolt them to the block and water pump with the supplied bolts ..and install the alts with the bolts i supply also and you are good to go......All you need to update your 24 volt alt and add 12 volt alt is the kits-from me ,alts and belt you purchase locally with the part numbers i supply.....Sorry for the long write up just figured i would try to answer some possible questions ..

tm america

Similar but different .I changed a lot so it would be easier to build I redesigned it so it comes from a 4x6 piece of steel no waist also it uses the back pulley and doesn't require a tie rod setup. But I had a great model to work from..just went a little extra to make it affordable

gaspain

I plan to use a Vanner Battery Equalizer instead of dual alts, that way you dont rob power from the engine

59apache

Chipmaker
a full charged battery robs not much power. the drawback from a equalizer is: you discharge your starter batterys. with a 3rd battery for the 12V accesories you can drain the battery and start your truck. the original charging system isn't really big, with spotlights, cooler, cb etc. you maybe haven't enough capacity.

my plan is a shelter for camping, the third battery gives me the opportunity of a simple connection with a jumpercable.

tm america

I wonder how much power the dual alt use compared to the stock alt.?the two alts have about the same rotating mass as the stock alt.depending on which alt you go with you can turn it of and on as needed so it's not pull extra power from the engine. the biggest problem i see with equalizers is that most aren't strong enough to keep up with a hydrualic pump or winch ....Also doing that to add more accesories can over load the stock alt...but either way wether you are pulling power from the batties that are there with an equalizer or running dual alts the amount of power needed to charge the batteries is dependant on the amount of draw placed on them.In other words same accesories same draw no matter if you are using one or two alts ...Although adding a 12volt system has alot of advantages... first you add a separate electrical system that can safely run winches, pumps radios.trailer brakes and so on,,,second adding a separate 12 volt system gives you the ability to power off of the 12volt side while camping and not have to worry wether the truck will start or not.. If you run an equalizer or voltage reducer it will be drawing from the batteries you are counting on to start the truck and get you home...:roll:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Made a little progress today, but not much since my back is still AFU. We might give it a go in the morning with my ace wrench - soldier B - manning the tools and doing the lifting. Here are some pics of what I have:

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.