• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cooked #1 Piston

acme66

Finally got around to pulling the tour truck motor down and found #1 was cooked with bits of skirt melted right to the liner. Clear that was where the water leak was coming from. Pitting seems to have eaten the o rings. Trying to decide how long it ran buggered and what came first burning the hole or failure of o rings. Welcome opinions.

For those following us on YouTube on NelsonStudios you should know the liner puller was a total failure. Oh well.

So... favorite suply houses for parts? Leaning towards just replacing #1 but since we also pulled #5 just as a base line I will need o rings for 5 too.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would help if you loaded the pics directly to Steel Soldiers site.
That link will go dead eventually and help no one.

wrenchturner6238

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like to me the pitting was almost a leak and might have been burning a little. Most of the time it is the extra heat from the piston melting to the liner that really cooks the o-rings good and coolant in the oil pan.

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks a lot like liner cavitation to me. It's caused by incorrect coolant chemistry. Once it eats through into the cylinder from the coolant side, it leaks coolant into the cylinder and / or oil pan depending on where the piston is in relation to the leak. It also interferes with the liner cross hatch's ability to hold oil, leading to the piston scuff that you found.

If that's actually what it was, then there's a good chance that other cylinders could be in similar shape. I would definitely recommend pulling the other cylinders out to confirm before you reassemble.

71DeuceAK

Interesting thread! Bookmarking this for future reference as a possible soon to be M923A0 owner myself, heaven forbid mine does this and I have to do a similar teardown job.

Zoidsfan77

Just watched your video last night.
Thank you for posting your misfortunes, it may help others.

It is stuff like this though that makes me fear for my engine.

Good luck on the rebuild!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks