• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cooking oil

RAYZER

someone gave me 200 gal of used cooking oil! kind of excited about this because thats a lot of free miles!

am i able to run this straight? what steps should i take before i dump it in the fuel tank of da deuce?

gtsig

You have to filter the cooking oil very very well (don't want fries coming out of pipe, it will give your deuce heart burn rofl) also make sure the engine is warm and so is the fuel because it may become solid I would say add a second tank with the veg oil or any other fuel and turn it to veg oil after you warm up the engine and turn off the diesel fuel off and just run veg oil and when you stop turn veg oil off and soon as you hear the engine about to run out of fuel turn the diesel back on. That way even if it freezes it will not mean taking everything apart and then if you need more power you could leave it to diesel fuel. some people just mix it in their fuel at about 50-50 but again if the diesel is sh*t (has water in it) it may not run right normally so if your oil freezes and the fuel the same you will have a whole lot of fuel to throw out or you will have to keep adding more good fuel. Also if you have an extra tank then you can try adding used motor oil and other stuff and if it doesn't sound right then no big deal. And if you need to make a long trip or you find fuel dropped in price (cheep) then you will have two tanks to hold it. Also with a second tank you can add gasoline with a tap on it and if you need fuel for your lawn mower just take it out the tank :wink:.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would recommend it for use on a long trip only, where you can use it all up. I have mixed it to about 80% with diesel, but expect some difficulties (may take a couple of tries) starting if truck sits over night when the ambient temp may drop below 60 deg.
The fuel in the tank will selfheat from the return flow to about 125°F on a long drive, which lets you use a higher percentage of WVO.

For the heated/dual tank project:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/2737-heated-fuel-tank-project-biodiesel-wvo-2.html

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I run 50/50 diesel/veggie in my Ford Ranger diesel in hot weather...never had a starting issue as long as it is warm outside.

Since you are in Fla thickening should not be a prob.

I filter the raw oil through a couple layers of blue jean material to get all the crunchies out first.

As stated above getting the water out is very important...I set my veggie out in the sun in a black plastic drum for a few days and let it get hot. I use a 12 volt pump to pull off about 75% of what is in the drum...that will get most of the water out. What is left is fire starting fuel (veggie burns real, real hot and will dry out green wood fast).

When I pump the now-dewatered oil into the tank it goes through another big Fram fuel filter.

Converting to spin on filters (by using one of the conversion kits sold by SS members) with a drain cock is a good idea when using alternative fuels.

My input...you milage may vary.

Wolf.Dose

If the viscoity is somewhat correct and the temperature fits the only onse who notice it are the people behind you. It smells like french fries. Thats it, if you filters are able to handle the stuff.
Wolf