• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cooking Rack Assembly from an MKT

imtippmann

Hello all. I am sorry if this is in the wrong place or there is an easier location to find an answer to this question.

I acquired an MBU from my grandfather the other day and would like to build a griddle for it. I basically wish to build a half size version of the one that came with a kitchen trailer. The actual griddle is the easy part, The hard part at this point is simply finding the dimensions of the cooking rack that the griddle sat on and the MBU slid into. From what I can find, it seems that the cube was about 21.25" wide, 22.5" deep, and 19" tall. I was just hoping someone might have their trailer open or have one of the cubes laying around that they could measure to confirm what my research tells me.

Thank you in advance

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just measured one of the ones that the sinks sit on. Most of the dimensions should be very close. 14.5 inches tall (including the 3/16 lip on the front and the back which keeps the griddle from slipping off), 20.25 inches wide and 23.625 inches deep (front to back), all dimensions being measured on the outside. If it were not dark and raining, I would go out to the storage trailer and pull one of the regular spares out and check it. The burner actually sits on a shelf which goes all around the inside and IMHO that shelf is a bit too narrow because the MBU's don't always fit in it easily - they have to be put in a little crooked until they are all the way at the back or they will not go in and sit flat.

imtippmann

excellent, I thank you for your time sir. I built the cube last night and played with it a bit, it worked just as well as I had hoped. Now to build a heat exchanger so i can use it as a heater in my tent.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You realize that they produce a LOT of carbon monoxide. An easy heat exchanger would be an M-59 range with a hood on top to vent the burning gasses off and build the heat exchanger in the area where the pots would normally sit. Just need a 24V fan to force the air through the exchanger, since you will have to have 24 V source to run the MBU. if your unit is an M-100 (black oval) it will put out 55,000 BTU/Hr, if it's an M-103 (red oval and says V-3) it will produce a max of 60, 500 BTU/Hr. But I would not run them past about 50 percent (12 o'clock position) for any extended time (more than two hours). If you need more heat, or a longer run time go ahead and get a torpedo heater and leave the MBU for cooking.