• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

coolant crossover pipe and alternator rectifier post?

bcrobbins

Greetings,

i have been working to replace the passenger side head gasket on my m1009. I am not a very good mechanic, but I certainly rely on this site and the TM's for help every step of every job. Being a poor mechanic, I have torqued the crossover pipe too much and broken it at the mounting foot on the passenger side. Hopefully this is the only reason that the truck is leaking antifreeze like crazy while running. I'll deal with the other places later (heater core is the next check, I have a pressure tester on loan). ANYWAYS, complicating matters is the fact that the truck is equipped with a winterization kit, and I think there are more ports for hoses on this particular crossover pipe, from what I can tell. So my question is: does anyone on here have any spare crossover pipes for winterized cicv's? or is there a way to convert so that a regular crossover pipe would work? OR is there a way to repair the broken one I have now (JB Weld, maybe). It looks like pot metal and so I don't know if there's anything that will work.

On another note, during this shameful performance and unrelated, I have somehow loosened the 5/16th threaded bolt not he back of the passenger side alternator. I think this is the rectifier bolt and that it has special fiber washers that hold it in place, Is that correct? Is there a way to fix this without rebuilding the alternator or buying a whole rebuild kit? I'll do it if I need to because if I'm gonna take it apart, why not rebuild it, I figure...or break something else in the process.

Thanks for reading, and any help/advice is appreciated.

cucvrus

I have a HMMWV cross over coolant manifold that has several ports. New in bag. Also hit the 5/6" bolt/nut with an impact slowly or real quick and that will tighten the bolt. If the fiber washer is broken you may need to split the case to access. Hold the brushes with a paper clip/toothpick and separate the 2 halfs. Good Luck. I hope that helps. On the coolant manifold PM me.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take the alternator off and remove the rear end casting to tighten the loose bolt. It's easy to do. Depending on which bolt you are talking about, if you try using an impact wrench you may end up breaking the insulator or bolt.

Here is the link to my alternator rebuild thread with pictures so you will know what to expect and how to put it back together.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?146703-CUCV-Alternator-Rebuild

bcrobbins

Thank you fellas,

CUCVRUS, I PM'd you about the crossover pipe and thanks for the alt info.
TOW4, Thanks for the info. I'm gonna attempt it.