• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coolant Dripping off Oil Pan

The Baron

So I decided to fix my leaky oil pan on my 1984 M1009. I looked under the vehicle to make sure it was coming from the oil pan and I noticed fresh coolant dripping off the front lip of the pan. At first I thought the coolant could be coming from the water pump, but the drip is on the other side of the engine and the pump seems dry. I've looked and looked but cannot seem to find where the coolant is coming from. It seems to be coming down from above the pan, but it is a very slow leak so I can't really see the trail of where its coming from. I tried tightening the lower radiator hose but that did not have any affect. Anyone have any ideas of what it could be?

Ive had no success with gaskets and after a long search I found out that if your oilpan doesn't have a lip on the mounting surface but is flat it is make for just rtv. If the lip is not there when you tighten the gasket down it just slips out and leaks!

Hasdrubal

Leak at front of pan could be pump weep hole, a couple of pump mount bolts go through the water jacket and require sealant. I've even had a cracked water crossover pipe, at the mounting flange. Run it, get it hot, you should be able to trace the source.

unaffiliated

It has been my experience in 36 years as a mechanic that coolant leaks are easier to find with a cold engine because the seals, orings and gaskets have contracted. Use a pressure tester when the engine is cold and you should be able to find it.

The Baron

Well I took a look and it is definitely not the water pump weep hole, the pump is pretty much the only dry component down there. I let it run for a half hour and no leakage came out of anywhere. Money is a little tight and pressure testers are quite expensive. Do they really work that good?

unaffiliated

Most big box parts stores around here like Auto Zone or Advance Auto Parts have a loaner tool program where you just leave a deposit, use the tool, then bring it back when finished and get your deposit back. A lot better than buying a tool you may never use again. Yes they do work well if used correctly. I usually check the vehicle hot and cold. Only pressurize the system to the pressure listed on the radiator cap. Hope this helps.

rlltide12

Mine did the same thing and would only leak if the engine was turning high RPMs. I almost guarantee that its the lower weep hole. I had a very hard time even seeing mine and even then it looked dry, but when the engine was hot and turned up, it would leak. Not a hard task to complete by yourself, and a pump is only like 30 bucks. Just FOLLOW THE TM TO THE T. Otherwise, you could end up with water in places you don't want it. I have done it and can help you walk through it if you attempt it.

Skinny

If you don't want to shell out money for a pressure tester some dye and a black light work awesome for finding leaks. Drop some in the coolant, run for a bit, then shut down and have a groovy time finding the snail trail ;)