• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coolant flush volume capacity

just drained my coolant. only about 4 gallons came out.
Had bought 7 gallons of coolant(diesel spec) because I read that the 6.2 HMMWV takes 6.5 gallons.

should there be more coming out? do I need to disconnect hoses?
the coolant that came out is a deep bright green, looks pretty nice.

was planning to flush by running engine with distilled water but I'm thinking of just refiling what I drained with fresh fluid, skipping flush.

Any thoughts?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is still coolant in the block. If you took out a freeze plug it will drain. I would flush it. There is always rust/sand from casting in there. The more you get out, the longer the water pump seal will last.

There is still coolant in the block. If you took out a freeze plug it will drain. I would flush it. There is always rust/sand from casting in there. The more you get out, the longer the water pump seal will last.

I don't want to end up with 3 gallons of distilled water diluting my final mix.
I was only able to find pre mixed diesel coolant near me.

edit:
finally found the capacity in TM.
"The cooling system for the vehicles covered in this manual has a26 qt (25 l) capacity."

Based on this, It appears that I only got about half of the fluid out using the drain valve.

Last edited:

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea that's about right. You never get it all out. Do you have a tractor supply in your area? They carry Rotella Diesel concentrate coolant. It's in a black jug. About $12 a gallon down here. Using what you have, I know it would be a waste but you could drain and refill twice to get the mixture richer. I realize that's not ideal. I don't know how far below freezing you have to prepare for in NY. I would imagine you would need 50/50 at a min?

Yea that's about right. You never get it all out. Do you have a tractor supply in your area? They carry Rotella Diesel concentrate coolant. It's in a black jug. About $12 a gallon down here. Using what you have, I know it would be a waste but you could drain and refill twice to get the mixture richer. I realize that's not ideal. I don't know how far below freezing you have to prepare for in NY. I would imagine you would need 50/50 at a min?
yup, after running another 4 gallons of distilled water i’ll drain and top off with the 50/50.
ill return the rest to the store and try to locate some concentrate before winter. on a bad winter we can get down in the -20’s.

any problem with residual old green coolant mixing with the new orange “peak final charge” coolant?

911joeblow

I use fleet charge. Can mix
We obviously have a lot of experience in the cooling department on these trucks and I cant stress enough what was stated above. These trucks need very thorough flushing! A combination of life in the military motor pool and a really bad cooling flow design internally in the block casting, there are lots of places for debris to hide. After the initial dump I recommend refill and dump several more times. Obviously that is a lot of distilled water so we have a garden hose with a 1 micron filter we use to do flushing (and car washes BTW as it leaves no water spots!). Each time you flush, run the truck and always make sure you run the heater on full as well as that hides coolant and debris too. One option is to leave the overflow tank pressure cap off and run a filtered water hose into the tank and open the drain too, just keep filling and draining with the truck running until the drain off runs clear. Then for final fill up we run an air hose to the overflow tank with a rubber stopper and open the drain while blowing in air pressure. This evacuates a lot of the stagnant water left in the block and heater core. Then refill with the LEAST amount of coolant to reach your freeze protection level. The more coolant you run to distilled water the LESS efficient your truck will be at cooling in the hot summer months.

Also with a good high pressure attachment try to back spray from under your radiator stack out the top (not easy with the fan in the way) as a lot of crud builds up in there especially if the truck did much fording.

For the plug now, help your truck run better and live a longer life with one of our cooling upgrade kits.... https://paradoxbydesign.com/collect...oducts/hmmwv-humvee-cooling-upgrade-system-v3

Sintorion

For the plug now, help your truck run better and live a longer life with one of our cooling upgrade kits.... https://paradoxbydesign.com/collect...oducts/hmmwv-humvee-cooling-upgrade-system-v3
Please explain how you can make a claim that any truck will "run better and live a longer life" when you haven't done a SINGLE bit of testing on this crap that you sell. You should really be ashamed of yourself making such claims just to line your pockets. Do I need to go back to your post from a year an a half ago where you @Retiredwarhorses
that you were doing testing and still to this date, you haven't done so? Your only support is from very unscientific tests that showed the opposite of what people might expect with your justifications that it is normal. I can't believe that steelsoldiers lets you promote yourself as a vendor.

911joeblow

Sintorion,

I am not sure what your personal agenda is here but several members of this site have asked you to lay off. Again we have very completely tested our products, you just don't like the way we did it. Our customers all over this site and around the world disagree with you. You are welcome to your individual opinion but responding to every thing I post over and over again is not in the spirit of this site. Each individual can make up their own mind at this point and I will continue to offer my advice and yes plug my proven product where I think it can help. I will count you as one who will not be one of our customers, OK?

Sintorion

Sintorion,

I am not sure what your personal agenda is here but several members of this site have asked you to lay off. Again we have very completely tested our products, you just don't like the way we did it. Our customers all over this site and around the world disagree with you. You are welcome to your individual opinion but responding to every thing I post over and over again is not in the spirit of this site. Each individual can make up their own mind at this point and I will continue to offer my advice and yes plug my proven product where I think it can help. I will count you as one who will not be one of our customers, OK?
Don't try to push this off on someone else and ignore the facts. The facts are the facts. You are a liar. You lied when you said you would provide data. You lied when you said that "your truck will run better and live a longer life". If that is what you have to do to sell your product, so be it. I definitely won't be buying your crap and hopefully I have saved others from wasting their money as well.

CMPPhil

Back to the original question

just drained my coolant. only about 4 gallons came out.
Had bought 7 gallons of coolant(diesel spec) because I read that the 6.2 HMMWV takes 6.5 gallons.

should there be more coming out? do I need to disconnect hoses?
the coolant that came out is a deep bright green, looks pretty nice.

was planning to flush by running engine with distilled water but I'm thinking of just refiling what I drained with fresh fluid, skipping flush.

Any thoughts?
Hi All

Thought this was a pretty good question. What to do will depend a lot on what else has or has not been done to the MV, in this case a HMMWV, before.

I'll be curious to hear what the chosen course of action was, and what was the result how much antifreeze did you put in what was the coolant protection level that resulted? Then the big question what does the coolant look like in a year, does it look clear and fresh or does it like a mud puddle?

Lots of happy driving.

Cheers Phil

911joeblow

Hi All

Thought this was a pretty good question. What to do will depend a lot on what else has or has not been done to the MV, in this case a HMMWV, before.

I'll be curious to hear what the chosen course of action was, and what was the result how much antifreeze did you put in what was the coolant protection level that resulted? Then the big question what does the coolant look like in a year, does it look clear and fresh or does it like a mud puddle?

Lots of happy driving.

Cheers Phil
So long as you flush as well as possible and use distilled water and a high quality coolant with good anti-corrosion properties you should not see a 'mud puddle' in a year. A lot of the stuff that comes out of these after military service is due to field topping off with whatever water source they could find.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks